From: dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (David Weller)
Subject: Re: Multithreading
Date: 23 Nov 1994 06:00:00 -0600
Date: 1994-11-23T06:00:00-06:00	[thread overview]

In article <patrick_d_logan.226.000F6995@ccm.jf.intel.com>,
Patrick D. Logan <patrick_d_logan@ccm.jf.intel.com> wrote:
>In article <3ah4c0$rl4@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM> dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (David Weller) writes:
>
>>In article <patrick_d_logan.213.000F5784@ccm.jf.intel.com>,
>>>Do any of these Adas that support OS threading also support garbage
>>>collection?
>
>>Huh?  Which OS's do GC automatically?
>
>My understanding of Ada is that it's definition allows for garbage collection,
>and that some implementations do implement garbage collection.
>
>My question then is of the Ada implementations that support OS threads, are
>there any that also implement garbage collection such that I can have multiple
>threads running where the data is being garbage collected?

(Somehow I always get the nuances of GC wrong, but if my statement is
wrong here, somebody will probably correct me :-)

Offhand I'd say that effect could be achieved by nesting a protected
type instance inside a Controlled type:

	protected type Multi_Thread_Data is ...

	type GC_Item is new Ada.Finalization.Controlled with record
	   Hidden : Multi_Thread_Data;
	end record;

Does a more experienced "language lawyer" want to add something in?
Am I overtrivializing here?  Norm? Tuck?

--
Proud (and vocal) member of Team Ada! (and Team OS/2)        ||This is not your
   	      Ada -- Very Cool.  Doesn't Suck.               ||  father's Ada