From: dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (David Weller)
Subject: Re: Delphi and SGI's GNAT Ada access of C++ class libraries
Date: 20 Nov 1994 20:13:26 -0600
Date: 1994-11-20T20:13:26-06:00	[thread overview]

In article <199411200820.IAA02428@stout.entertain.com>,
Colin James III  <cjames@STOUT.ENTERTAIN.COM> wrote:
>What is the programming language Delphi?  If it's new, it's so new that
>there is no comp.lang.delphi newsgroup.  (Is this Oracle's way of making
>a bad pun?)

Delphi is Borland's new app builder.  It is pretty awesome.

>Regarding SGI using GNAT to access SGI's C++ class libraries, so what.
>Eiffel has *always* been able to access C libraries directly;  and Eiffel
>3 (with concurrent processes matching Ada-83 tasks) has absolutely all
>the functionality (and more) than Ada-9x.  What SGI is claiming is in
>fact no big deal;  it's been done before.  Also Eiffel is infinitely more
>portable because there are more ANSI C/C++ compilers than hardware
>platforms supported by Ada-83/9x.

Infinitely?  Gee, I guess it's time to switch to Eiffel.  Powerful
applications in less than a microsecond.

>The Ada community should also really question the necessity, propriety,
>and usefulness of having comp.lang.ada or info-ada@vm1.nodak.edu forums
>because Ada is going away.  Oh yes, Don Reifer trumphets that AJPO is
>going to have something as a Turbo Ada from some vendor as Borland at
>some price as $99 per copy, but even that won't save Ada.  Reason:  the
>many other ills of government sponsorship documented by Gregory Aharonian
>and Ralph Crafts.  Note:  those writers actually underestimate how badly
>government is broken throughout;  it's endemic and magnitudes worse than
>they (or most readers of this) realize.

Greg Aharonian, now _there's_ a bastion of solid journalism.  Yup.

>Analogy is the weakest form of argument.  However the cutest analogy I can
>come up with is this:  Teen Ada is to Eiffel as is Teen OS/2 to Windows NT.

I rather like that analogy.  I never thought I'd thank Colin in
public for something (not that I could send him e-mail :-)

>Stop wasting your time with Ada, folks;  it is too far gone to redeem.
>We will see, won't we.

*Whew*  I for one am glad that person is abandoning Ada and going to
the Eiffel camp.  One less raving lunatic as I see it :-)

--
Proud (and vocal) member of Team Ada! (and Team OS/2)        ||This is not your
   	      Ada -- Very Cool.  Doesn't Suck.               ||  father's Ada