From: mbk@inls1.ucsd.edu (Matt Kennel)
Subject: Re: "Beaujolais Effect" -- what is it?
Date: 20 Nov 1994 23:15:25 GMT
Date: 1994-11-20T23:15:25+00:00	[thread overview]

Jean D. Ichbiah (ichbiah@jdi.tiac.net) wrote:
:  eachus@spectre.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) writes:

: >   I'll take a shot.  Jean Ichbiah offered a bottle of Beaujolais to
: >  the first person to find an Ada 83 program where adding a use clause
: >  changed the meaning of the program without changing the legality.

: Correct.

: It is worth pointing that many popular languages have Beaujolais
: effect:  Borland Pascal "uses" clause, which takes and additive,
: layer-after-layer, interpretation of what you  see in the used packages
: (units) definitely exhibits a Beaujolais effect.

: Last time I looked at C++, my impression was that several years
: of Beaujolais vintage productions would be required.

: For a component-based software development, such effects are undesirable
: since your application may start not working when you recompile
: it with the new - supposedly improved  - version of a component.

Question, does Eiffel or Sather have this effect?

Not knowing exactly the problem or Ada too well I am in no position to
answer.

: Jean D. Ichbiah

--
-Matt Kennel  		mbk@inls1.ucsd.edu
-Institute for Nonlinear Science, University of California, San Diego