From: mcculley@greatwall.cctt.com (Gene McCulley)
Subject: Re: GNAT for Mac?
Date: 18 Nov 1994 14:13:09 GMT
Date: 1994-11-18T14:13:09+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <fstiffo-1711940828560001@157.138.55.12>, fstiffo@unive.it (Francesco Stiffoni) writes:
|> GNAT, why there's not a port for Macintosh?

Did you send this question to gnat-report@cs.nyu.edu also?  If not, you should.

 It seems to me that GNAT for Mac will not be an easy thing to achieve, since
 GNAT needs GCC and there is not much support for GCC on the Mac.  From the Mac
 programming FAQ:
 1.3) Q: Where do I find a public domain C compiler for the Mac.
 Is there a GCC for the mac? What about the FSF boycott of Apple
 products?

 A: There is no really good solution for a "for-free" C development
 system for the Mac.  GCC has been ported, but requires the MPW shell and
 MPW assembler to run; these have to be bought from APDA.  There is a
 standalone port of GCC 1.37 on nic.switch.ch:software/mac/src/think_c.
 There was a freely available C compiler called Harvest C, which was
 somewhat unstable but usable for smaller programs; it was abandoned by
 the original author Eric W Sink because of a lack of time and later
 taken up by the TopSoft project.

 The FSF boycott of Apple products means they will not talk to you if you
 ask them for help in doing a Mac port, and they will not incorporate
 your changes into their main code base.  However, they still allow
 others to port GNU stuff to the Mac, and it has been done with most of
 the application-like GNU programs (bison, flex, perl (not really part of
 GNU), ...)

 gcc-1.37r14 V1.1 standalone is available for ftp at nic.switch.ch:
 software/mac/src/think_c.

 A fairly stable port of GCC 2.3.3 to MPW is available for ftp at
 atg.apple.com [anyone know the directory?].

 For those whose main interest is in developing only text based C/C++
 programs, using GCC under MacMiNT might be appropriate.  MacMiNT is a
 UNIX like operating system ported from the Atari ST which supports many
 freely available UNIX utilities like GCC, GDB, make, tcsh, byacc, perl,
 and more.  MacMiNT stuff can be found at on nic.switch.ch in
 'software/mac/src/macmint'.

So you would have to get GCC 2.6.0 running on Mac.  I don't know anything about
the Mac except what I have read in the FAQ, so I don't know how hard this would
be.