From: comar@cs.nyu.edu (Cyrille Comar)
Subject: Re: GCC on Sparc (was Re: GCC/GDB for UnixWare)
Date: 17 Nov 1994 00:47:49 -0500
Date: 1994-11-17T00:47:49-05:00	[thread overview]

cary@svl.trw.com (Cary Jamison) writes:
:
: I've got an Ada application that calls C routines.  I'm using SunAda 2.1
: and GCC 2.5.8 on Solaris 2.3.  The GCC manual says it can produce stabs
: info either with or without extra GDB stuff.  Are you saying that without
: the extra GDB stuff, it still isn't compatible (-gstabs)?
:
: The SunAda debugger says it can debug C routines, but I'm having trouble
: getting it to work properly.  One problem is that it crashes with a signal
: 11 if I turn on 'set verbose on' in the .dbrc file, which it says to do to
: debug C.  Has anyone else got this to work, either with GCC or Sun's CC?
:
: (SunAda also says to compile C with -xs, from reading the man pages, it
: appears I can do the same with GCC -Wa,-s.)
:
: My next step is to try to debug the Ada program in GDB!  I hope I can at
: least step through the C code I want to look at.

GDB works perfectly well with a program written partially in C, in C++ and in
Ada, at least when you use the gcc compilers (gcc, g++ and gnat).
you can step in all code whatever the language it is written in.
GDB has no specific knowledge about Ada (it has about C and C++) but eventhough
it is possible use it quite efficiently with Ada code, you just have to use
C expressions instead of Ada's.
We have been using it successfully for more than one year for the GNAT
development which is written in Ada9x and in C.
I have been testing the new GNAT/C++ interface recently and GDB works perfectly
well in this context too...
Cyrille Comar,                                  E-mail: comar@cs.nyu.edu
Gnat Project                                    US phone: (212) 998-3489