* ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-03 21:45 Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-12-03 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

After an exchange with Emmanuel Briot I decided to publicize a curated Awesome-Ada page. (A curated list of every Ada initiatives worth publicizing)

https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada

I also write to you for your help. If you know any Ada package that you think is awesome please edit the readme.md file and create a pull request. I will review the change and accept it if no major problems are found.

Note:

a) I know, adaic.org already does list most projects/libs but an Awesome-* github page is a known thing in other language communities, so I figured we needed a complete one too.

b) If you add a project that is WIP and/or do not build, please be explicit about it in the project's readme.

c) Do not hesitate to re-categorize some projects if you think I got it wrong. I do not know every package in details.

d) At the end you will find a TODO list; meaningful projects to list. Any help with this will be appreciated.

e) If you can, use github for your projects. Apart from being very useful, it shows Ada is keeping up with 'the trend' and gives a 'uniform look' over the community.

f) If you can, use the readme.md as doc/comment/build instructions on github. If you want a template for a pretty complete readme.md clone https://github.com/ohenley/readme-template. The Orka project does it well also: https://github.com/onox/orka .The readme.md file uses the markdown syntax. You can pick up quickly with this cheatsheet: https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/wiki/Markdown-Cheatsheet

g) Github now offers to host 'blog pages/web pages' for free. Do not hesitate to use them for deeper instructions, doc, blog posts. Contrary to custom pages they should never go down, and they have no publicity. :)

Thx,

Olivier

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-03 21:49 ` Olivier Henley
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-12-03 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Github now offers to host 'blog pages/web pages' for free: https://pages.github.com/

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-03 23:44 ` Olivier Henley
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-12-03 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

For those wondering how to 'make a pull request'

1. Install git. (https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-Installing-Git)
1-a) Open a github account if you do not already have one. (not sure this step is mandatory though ...)

2. Open a git-bash prompt on windows (comes with the git installation on windows), a terminal on linux/mac
3. Execute:

$ git clone https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada.git (you just cloned the repo)
$ git checkout -b my-branch-to-edit-the-awesome-ada (you just created a personalized branch)
$ git push origin my-branch-to-edit-the-awesome-ada (you just pushed the branch on github: the origin)
$ git push --set-upstream origin my-branch-to-edit-the-awesome-ada (you just setted your branch as the upstream origin to receive your changes)
$ cd awesome-ada

4. Edit the file readme.md using a text editor and add an awesome Ada project. Save the file. (the syntax is Markdown. https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/wiki/Markdown-Cheatsheet)

5. Execute:

$ git add . (you just added every change made)
$ git commit -m 'I just added a new entry to the aweseome-ada' (you just commited a change to your own branch with some comments)
$ git push (you just pushed the change to your branch, to github)

6. Go to https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada,
7. Click the 'Pull Request' button. Follow the directives (you will need to choose Base:Master and Compare:my-branch-to-edit-the-awesome-ada)
8. Click 'Create pull request'

I will review your changes and accept the merge.

Thx

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-03 23:58   ` Olivier Henley
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-12-03 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

For any further changes, because your branch is already setup, you only have to repeat the following inside the awesome-ada directory, on your local machine:

1. Execute:

$ git add .
$ git commit -m 'I just added a another entry to the aweseome-ada'
$ git push

2. Go to https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada
3. Click the 'Pull Request' button. Follow the directives (you will need to choose Base:Master and Compare:my-branch-to-edit-the-awesome-ada)
4. Click 'Create pull request'

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-04  9:31   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2018-12-04  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Olivier Henley <olivier.henley@gmail.com> writes:

> $ git clone https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada.git (you just
> cloned the repo)

$ cd awesome-ada (you are now in the cloned repo)

> $ git checkout -b my-branch-to-edit-the-awesome-ada (you just created
> a personalized branch)

------------------

I'd support your suggestion to use Github. I used to be a
Mercurial/Sourceforge person, but (a) Git is a lot more capable than Hg,
even if there are some facilities that are too capable for mere mortals,
and (b) Github itself is much more responsive and capable than SF.

I didn't know it was possible to let J. Random Hacker push a new branch
to your repo! I thought you had to fork on Github, push to your own
repo, & make the pull request from there. Agreed that this is a workflow
that you have to _really_ _want_ to make work, until you're used to it,
when it seems like the way Nature intended. :-)

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-04 11:01   ` fabien.chouteau
From: fabien.chouteau @ 2018-12-04 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Olivier!

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 12:44:38 AM UTC+1, Olivier Henley wrote:
> For those wondering how to 'make a pull request'

For README's and other markdown files, it is easier to make the modification and pull requests directly on GitHub website.

When looking at a file: https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada/blob/master/README.md

You have a pen icon to clone and edit the file.

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-04 14:01     ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-12-04 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I used to be a Mercurial

Same here. At the time git was buggy and/or I was a 'bad' user, Mercurial felt much more consistent and 'powerful' to me.

When I realized that virtually everybody moved to git, my company included, I just followed. I am ready to stand my ground for a programming language but a versioning tool... We have to choose our battles.

Now git works pretty well actually.

>> Git is a lot more capable than Hg, even if there are some facilities that >> are too capable for mere mortals

Right

>> Github itself is much more responsive and capable than SF.

Day and night ... and the publicity on SF.

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-04 14:06     ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-12-04 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> For README's and other markdown files, it is easier to make the modification >> and pull requests directly on GitHub website.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Yesterday, I was not able to test that functionality from my own account, being the owner of the repo... and forgot to test on someone else Readme.md file. Anyway, yes this is a much faster method.

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-04 16:16       ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2018-12-04 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Olivier Henley <olivier.henley@gmail.com> writes:

> Day and night ... and the publicity on SF.

What publicity?

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-04 18:06         ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-12-04 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> What publicity?

Isn't there an add at the top, and at the bottom of the page?
(I meant an add, in french Canadian an add is a 'publicité')

https://sourceforge.net/directory/business-enterprise/financial/accounting/os:windows/

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-04 23:46           ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-12-04 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 1:06:12 PM UTC-5, Olivier Henley wrote:
> >> What publicity?
>
> Isn't there an add at the top, and at the bottom of the page?
> (I meant an add, in french Canadian an add is a 'publicité')
>
> https://sourceforge.net/directory/business-enterprise/financial/accounting/os:windows/

an ad... shame on me. :)

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-12-05  2:07   ` Jere
From: Jere @ 2018-12-05  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 6:44:38 PM UTC-5, Olivier Henley wrote:
> For those wondering how to 'make a pull request'
>
> 1. Install git. (https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-Installing-Git)
> 1-a) Open a github account if you do not already have one. (not sure this step is mandatory though ...)
>
> 2. Open a git-bash prompt on windows (comes with the git installation on windows), a terminal on linux/mac
> 3. Execute:
>
> $ git clone https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada.git (you just cloned the repo)
> $ git checkout -b my-branch-to-edit-the-awesome-ada (you just created a personalized branch)
> $ git push origin my-branch-to-edit-the-awesome-ada (you just pushed the branch on github: the origin)
> $ git push --set-upstream origin my-branch-to-edit-the-awesome-ada (you just setted your branch as the upstream origin to receive your changes)
> $ cd awesome-ada
>
> 4. Edit the file readme.md using a text editor and add an awesome Ada project. Save the file. (the syntax is Markdown. https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/wiki/Markdown-Cheatsheet)
>
> 5. Execute:
>
> $ git add . (you just added every change made)
> $ git commit -m 'I just added a new entry to the aweseome-ada' (you just commited a change to your own branch with some comments)
> $ git push (you just pushed the change to your branch, to github)
>
> 6. Go to https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada,
> 7. Click the 'Pull Request' button. Follow the directives (you will need to choose Base:Master and Compare:my-branch-to-edit-the-awesome-ada)
> 8. Click 'Create pull request'
>
> I will review your changes and accept the merge.
>
> Thx

I tried doing the steps above and it gave me a permission denied error.
If you are interested, here is the markdown for some online ada compilers:

## Online Compilers
- [TutorialsPoint Ada Compiler](https://www.tutorialspoint.com/compile_ada_online.php) - Online compiler built on the CodingGround engine
- [JDoodle Ada Compiler](https://www.jdoodle.com/execute-ada-online) - Online compiler that provides multiple versions of GNAT to test with.

You can edit the text however you like

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-05 16:13     ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-12-05 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Done.

Next time, try directly on github.

Fabien Chouteau:

@ 2018-12-05 16:17 ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-12-05 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

To make a modification and pull requests directly on GitHub:

1. Go to https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada/blob/master/README.md
2. You have a pen icon to clone and edit the file.
3. Follow the instructions to submit the changes.

Thx!

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-05 17:13       ` Jere
From: Jere @ 2018-12-05 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 11:13:59 AM UTC-5, Olivier Henley wrote:
> Done.
>
> Next time, try directly on github.
>
> Fabien Chouteau:
>
> For README's and other markdown files, it is easier to make the modification and pull requests directly on GitHub website.
>
> When looking at a file: https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada/blob/master/README.md
>
> You have a pen icon to clone and edit the file.

I saw that, but when I hovered over the tooltip, it said it would fork
the repo.  I wasn't really wanting to fork it necessarily.  I'm glad to
provide updates here and there, but don't want to maintain a separate
fork of the repo.  Or is the fork more of a "temporary" fork that goes
away after making the change?

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-05 18:15         ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-12-05 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Or is the fork more of a "temporary" fork that goes
>> away after making the change?

Not sure. But hey, the fork in your profile would help publicize the page!

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-06  6:51         ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2018-12-06  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jere <jhb.chat@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 11:13:59 AM UTC-5, Olivier Henley wrote:
>> Done.
>>
>> Next time, try directly on github.
>>
>> Fabien Chouteau:
>>
>> For README's and other markdown files, it is easier to make the
>> modification and pull requests directly on GitHub website.
>>
>> When looking at a file:
>> https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada/blob/master/README.md
>>
>> You have a pen icon to clone and edit the file.
>
> I saw that, but when I hovered over the tooltip, it said it would fork
> the repo.  I wasn't really wanting to fork it necessarily.  I'm glad to
> provide updates here and there, but don't want to maintain a separate
> fork of the repo.  Or is the fork more of a "temporary" fork that goes
> away after making the change?

A fork is (or acts like) a full copy (clone) of a repo.  It doesn't
go away until and unless you choose to delete it.  GitHub probably
has infrastructure to make forking a relatively cheap operation,
not creating a full copy of the repo -- though you can create such
a copy on your own system by cloning the forked repo.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@mib.org  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
Will write code for food.

From: Keith Thompson @ 2018-12-06  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Olivier Henley <olivier.henley@gmail.com> writes:
>> $ git clone https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada.git (you just
>> cloned the repo)
>
> $ cd awesome-ada (you are now in the cloned repo)
>
>> $ git checkout -b my-branch-to-edit-the-awesome-ada (you just created
>> a personalized branch)
>
> ------------------
>
> I'd support your suggestion to use Github. I used to be a
> Mercurial/Sourceforge person, but (a) Git is a lot more capable than Hg,
> even if there are some facilities that are too capable for mere mortals,
> and (b) Github itself is much more responsive and capable than SF.
>
> I didn't know it was possible to let J. Random Hacker push a new branch
> to your repo! I thought you had to fork on Github, push to your own
> repo, & make the pull request from there. Agreed that this is a workflow
> that you have to _really_ _want_ to make work, until you're used to it,
> when it seems like the way Nature intended. :-)

In the example above, the user isn't pushing a branch to your repo.
`git clone` creates a copy of your repo, and the user creates a new
branch in that copy.  The user can then create a "pull request", which
lets you propagate the new branch to your original repo, but only if you
choose to accept it.  Nobody can modify your repo without your
permission.

--

@ 2018-12-06  8:43       ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2018-12-06  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Keith Thompson <kst-u@mib.org> writes:

> Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> writes:
>> Olivier Henley <olivier.henley@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> $ git checkout -b my-branch-to-edit-the-awesome-ada (you just created
>>> a personalized branch)
>>
>> I didn't know it was possible to let J. Random Hacker push a new
>> branch to your repo! I thought you had to fork on Github, push to
>> your own repo, & make the pull request from there. Agreed that this
>> is a workflow that you have to _really want_ to make work, until
>> you're used to it, when it seems like the way Nature intended. :-)
>
> In the example above, the user isn't pushing a branch to your repo.
> `git clone` creates a copy of your repo, and the user creates a new
> branch in that copy.  The user can then create a "pull request", which
> lets you propagate the new branch to your original repo, but only if
> you choose to accept it.  Nobody can modify your repo without your
> permission.

As I said, the workflow Oliver specified would only work if the user had
write permission in Oliver's repo. Of course you're right about the pull
request, but I can't create a pull request on Github that refers to a
commit on a branch in my cloned repo on my machine! It has to be from a
fork on Github.

[I could email you a pull request from my repo so long as the two repos
had a common ancestor and my repo was accessible to you, but to use
Github's mechanisms both repos need to be on Github]

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-12-08 17:47 ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2018-12-08 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, 3 December 2018 21:45:31 UTC, Olivier Henley  wrote:
> After an exchange with Emmanuel Briot I decided to publicize a curated Awesome-Ada page. (A curated list of every Ada initiatives worth publicizing)
>
> https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada

Is https://github.com/samuell/awesome-ada dead?

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-09 15:29   ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-12-09 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 12:47:57 PM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:
> On Monday, 3 December 2018 21:45:31 UTC, Olivier Henley  wrote:
> > After an exchange with Emmanuel Briot I decided to publicize a curated Awesome-Ada page. (A curated list of every Ada initiatives worth publicizing)
> >
> > https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada
>
> Is https://github.com/samuell/awesome-ada dead?

This list had no activity for the past 2 years and is, IMHO, far from complete. I did not want to fork this one as I would have had to make a case to the owner as to why actual code projects should be put ahead of general 'ressources'. For all those reasons I decided to go forward with a new page.

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2018-12-10  8:27     ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2018-12-10  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, 9 December 2018 15:29:08 UTC, Olivier Henley  wrote:
> On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 12:47:57 PM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:
> > On Monday, 3 December 2018 21:45:31 UTC, Olivier Henley  wrote:
> > > After an exchange with Emmanuel Briot I decided to publicize a curated Awesome-Ada page. (A curated list of every Ada initiatives worth publicizing)
> > >
> > > https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada
> >
> > Is https://github.com/samuell/awesome-ada dead?
>
> This list had no activity for the past 2 years and is, IMHO, far from complete. I did not want to fork this one as I would have had to make a case to the owner as to why actual code projects should be put ahead of general 'ressources'. For all those reasons I decided to go forward with a new page.

Fair enough.

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-01-03 22:41 ` Jere
From: Jere @ 2019-01-03 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 4:45:31 PM UTC-5, Olivier Henley wrote:
> After an exchange with Emmanuel Briot I decided to publicize a curated Awesome-Ada page. (A curated list of every Ada initiatives worth publicizing)
>
> https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada
>
> I also write to you for your help. If you know any Ada package that you think is awesome please edit the readme.md file and create a pull request. I will review the change and accept it if no major problems are found.

Have you ever looked at the LEA editor for Ada?  It looks fairly
up to date/maintained.  Something to consider though I don't know if it
is something you are interested in having on your list.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/l-e-a/

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2019-01-05 22:26           ` George Shapovalov
From: George Shapovalov @ 2019-01-05 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 7:06:12 PM UTC+1, Olivier Henley wrote:
> Isn't there an add at the top, and at the bottom of the page?
> (I meant an add, in french Canadian an add is a 'publicité')
In French French too (shortened to pub), except nobody would really associate it with "publicity" - hardly anybody knows any proper English here. Quebec is probably one of few places where you would translate like that :).

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2019-01-06 11:24             ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2019-01-06 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

George Shapovalov <gshapovalov@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 7:06:12 PM UTC+1, Olivier Henley wrote:
>> Isn't there an add at the top, and at the bottom of the page?
>> (I meant an add, in french Canadian an add is a 'publicité')
> In French French too (shortened to pub), except nobody would really
> associate it with "publicity" - hardly anybody knows any proper
> English here. Quebec is probably one of few places where you would
> translate like that :).

I think the correct abbreviation in English is 'ad'

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2019-01-06 11:53               ` George Shapovalov
From: George Shapovalov @ 2019-01-06 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 12:24:52 PM UTC+1, Simon Wright wrote:
> I think the correct abbreviation in English is 'ad'
Yes, but as I mentioned, the French abbreviation is pub, so for a native francophone "ad" would intuitively feel 1 letter too short, and you know how subconscious correct us all the time, especially during fast typing..

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2019-01-06 14:51             ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2019-01-06 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 5:26:25 PM UTC-5, George Shapovalov wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 7:06:12 PM UTC+1, Olivier Henley wrote:
> > Isn't there an add at the top, and at the bottom of the page?
> > (I meant an add, in french Canadian an add is a 'publicité')
> In French French too (shortened to pub), except nobody would really associate it with "publicity" - hardly anybody knows any proper English here. Quebec is probably one of few places where you would translate like that :).

Good to know. :)

From: Olivier Henley @ 2019-01-06 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 5:41:48 PM UTC-5, Jere wrote:
> On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 4:45:31 PM UTC-5, Olivier Henley wrote:
> > After an exchange with Emmanuel Briot I decided to publicize a curated Awesome-Ada page. (A curated list of every Ada initiatives worth publicizing)
> >
> > https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada
> >
> > I also write to you for your help. If you know any Ada package that you think is awesome please edit the readme.md file and create a pull request. I will review the change and accept it if no major problems are found.
> >

> Have you ever looked at the LEA editor for Ada?  It looks fairly
> up to date/maintained.  Something to consider though I don't know if it
> is something you are interested in having on your list.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/l-e-a/

Added!

* Re: ANN: Awesome-Ada
@ 2019-01-06 17:41               ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2019-01-06 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 06 Jan 2019 11:24:51 +0000, Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
declaimed the following:

>George Shapovalov <gshapovalov@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 7:06:12 PM UTC+1, Olivier Henley wrote:
>>> Isn't there an add at the top, and at the bottom of the page?
>>> (I meant an add, in french Canadian an add is a 'publicité')
>> In French French too (shortened to pub), except nobody would really
>> associate it with "publicity" - hardly anybody knows any proper
>> English here. Quebec is probably one of few places where you would
>> translate like that :).
>
>I think the correct abbreviation in English is 'ad'

	Or the longer "advert" -- two syllables, less likely to be confused in
speaking.