From: "Martin Dowie" <martin.dowie@nospam.baesystems.com>
Subject: Re: redirecting the standard output
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:15:34 +0100
Date: 2001-04-11T15:15:34+01:00	[thread overview]

> Hmm, another requirement I use is "test and time what you fly". It is
> easier to use Project.Text_IO from the start, than to change to it
> later.

we use the nulled version for debugging only when it hits the target (if
the bug can be spotted appropiately using it) and the non-nulled
version primarily for host work.

All formal integration/system tests are done using the null-ed version.

> Also, packages should be testable without editing; use child packages to
> get access to private stuff.

absolutely, hence our use of a "Project.Text_IO" which can be null-ed.

> Hmm. Assuming 9600 baud serial link, 9 bits per character (with
> parity), that's about 1 ms per character. So you seem to have a
> significant tasking overhead in the serial implementation.

yup :-(