From: "Martin Dowie" <martin.dowie@nospam.baesystems.com>
Subject: Re: redirecting the standard output
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:32:25 +0100
Date: 2001-04-11T08:32:25+01:00	[thread overview]

> Backing up a bit, why do you want to do this? I can guess that you
> want to turn off some debugging output. It is _far_ better to define a
> Debug_IO package, with a Boolean or Integer debug enabled variable.
> Then have a style guide that says "Ada.Text_IO is _forbidden_ in
> delivered code; use Debug_IO if you need debug output".

In our 'real' development code this is exactly what will be done (we have
a Project.Text_IO package which is the same for all projects, and we
slap on whatever the OS provides in the way of 'Simple_IO' via the body,
or 'null'ed for production)

This is for testing and timing purposes.

So far, from what simple tests we've run each character seems to be
taking about 10ms to display via serial and 0.03ms via ethernet - does this
sound reasonable to everyone?.. :-)