* GWada - Will it build executables?
@ 1994-11-15 10:03 Aaron Diesen
From: Aaron Diesen @ 1994-11-15 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, I can't figure out whether GWada can build executables.  I just
recently got it, but noticed when I 'build' my code, no .exe file is
produced.  Is this only a luxury for registered users.  If so, good
thinking on the part of the GWada makers.

-Mud
#include<icsjp160@.h>
#include<gemini.h>
#include<oscs.h>
#include<montana.h>
#include<edu.h>

* Re: GWada - Will it build executables?
@ 1994-11-15 17:28 ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1994-11-15 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3aa12a$n2s@pdq.coe.montana.edu>,
Aaron Diesen <icsjp160@gemini.oscs.montana.edu> wrote:

>Sorry, I can't figure out whether GWada can build executables.  I just
>recently got it, but noticed when I 'build' my code, no .exe file is
>produced.  Is this only a luxury for registered users.  If so, good
>thinking on the part of the GWada makers.

Unfortunately, you got the _real_ version, not the "crippled" one.
That is, you cannot build executables from Ada/Ed, even if you
"register" it, which isn't necessary.

NYU Ada/Ed and its GW "packaged versions" generate code for a hypothetical
machine; this code is then executed using a simulator called adaexec
(some would call it an interpreter). There is no code generator for
Intel. or any other physical hardware platform. Ada/Ed in all its
flavors is really designed for learning Ada without investing money in
a compiler. To get Ada 83 .exe files, you'll need to buy one of the
commercial compilers.

You can also go with GNAT, which generates real code using the GCC
back end. The DOS version does not (yet) support tasking, but most of
the rest of Ada 9X is there. No tools yet; use your own editor. GNAT
is a very nice piece of work, in my opinion, and gets better and better
with each new release. And it is free software.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax) - mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)
         Ada on the World-Wide Web: http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/
"Non illegitimi carborundum." (Don't let the bastards grind you down.)