From: dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (David Weller)
Subject: Re: Overloading for T and T'Class
Date: 15 Nov 1994 05:39:59 -0600
Date: 1994-11-15T05:39:59-06:00	[thread overview]

In article <CzAF7q.29E@inmet.camb.inmet.com>,
Tucker Taft <stt@dsd.camb.inmet.com> wrote:

>>My neophyte language-lawerly sense says "No", you can't do this.  ...
>
>Bzzz!  We will repeat the entire question for the other team...

Ah, the gentle hand of "Dad" strikes again :-)

>The above is legal, though a call would generally be ambiguous.
>Actually, the class-wide operation can be called, provided the actual
>parameter is of some descendant of T other than T or T'Class itself.
>Furthermore, the primitive operation once inherited by some
>descendant (say T2) would be callable, presuming T2 is declared
>in some other package.  Hence, it is conceivable that the
>above might have some use, presuming no one wanted to use either
>one with T or T'Class, but rather with other descendants of T such
>as, say, T2 or T2'Class.

Ah good, then I'm entirely correct for saying the next thing to Brad
Balfour:
	See, Brad, I _told_ ya so!

:-)

--
Proud (and vocal) member of Team Ada! (and Team OS/2)        ||This is not your
   	      Ada -- Very Cool.  Doesn't Suck.               ||  father's Ada