From: "Andrzej Lewandowski" <lewandoREMOVE@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: ADA in military?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:08:10 -0600
Date: 2001-01-17T22:08:10-06:00	[thread overview]

"J.B." <su22@polbox.com> wrote in message news:9451nb$b66$1@news.tpi.pl...
> yes. im from Poland . i know that it is strange for ypu , but I'm really
> intrested in it. So I have a one question : do you know if I can get any
> source of programs used in aicrafts avionics: any demos? or anything? how
> much it is protected from wide knowledge( from people outside your country's
> army)?
> reallu thank you for any help and for answering my qestions.
> jim(jakub).
> THANK YOU!

I don't think that it is possible, and moreover, I don't think that studying
real, complex code would be easy and educational. If you want to
see some interesting examples of using Ada in control systems, consult the
books, especially the following:

1. Kjell Nielsen, Ken Shumate: Designing Large Real-Time Systems with Ada.
This is Ada 83, unfortunately, but this is not a big issue. Inside you will
find
5 case studies: Remote Temperature Sensor, Draw Image problem, Simple Mail
System, Air Traffic Control System, Robot Controller. Some quite close to
avionics,

2. Ken Shumate: Understanding Concurrency in Ada. Also some case studies:
Hot Line Communication System, Air Track Display System, Message
Transmission System, Multiple Keyboard Handler, Remote Temperature Sensor,

3. Kjell Nielsen: Ada in Distributes Real-Time Systems. Some case studies:
Robot Controller, Air Traffic Control Systems.

In addition, the following books are recommended:

Alan Burns, Andy Wellings: Concurrency in Ada
The same authors: Teal Time Systems and Their programming Languages.
Try to get 2-nd edition, it covers Ada95.

More general and less technical is the following: Ken Shumate, Marylin Keller:
Software Specification and Design: A Disciplined Approach for Real-Time
Systems.

I was teaching Real-Time Programming for quite a long while and I have some
my own examples in Ada83 (climate control in a building). I will try to recover
the code,
but it will take a while (well... somewhere in moving boxes in the basement...)

A.L.