From: "Nick Williams" <nwilliams@praxis-cs.co.uk>
Subject: Enforcing byte-wide access to memory
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:13:14 -0000
Date: 2001-01-02T15:13:14+00:00	[thread overview]

Hi there,

Is there any way of enforcing that accesses to a particular region of memory
be byte-wide?

More specifically, I am involved with development of a real-time system
which needs to read values from flash RAM, which can only be accessed
byte-at-a-time. I understand that representation clauses and use of the
Volatile pragma will cause the compiler to generate the appropriate code to
view this memory as an array of bytes...

However, a structured view of the data stored there is required (i.e. I want
to be able to have Address clauses on variables to access those variables as
stored on the flash RAM).

What is the expected behaviour of an Unchecked_Conversion in these
circumstances? Is there another way of achieving the desired effect?

Thanks.

Nick Williams.