From: "Tomisław Kityński" <cromax@amiga.pl>
Subject: Re: How to compile with GNAT?
Date: 2000/11/23
Date: 2000-11-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Użytkownik "Ted Dennison" <dennison@telepath.com> napisał w wiadomości news:8vgn9b$nun$1@nnrp1.deja.com...

> Well, I haven't ever used the Amiga port. But on every other port I know
> of it does *not* send the executable to stdio. "gnatmake hello.adb"
> should create your executable in a file named "hello.exe" (assuming
> executables require a ".exe" extension. I've forgotten how the Amiga
> handled that.)

  AmigaOS does not care about file extensions (which IMHO are for user,
not for OS), so it ought become hello, I suppose. Anyway --- sending
binaries to stdout would be, yeah, strange...

> If you are getting garbage to stdout, something is horribly wrong.
> Perhaps it would be worth trying to download it again.

  Exactly --- I try more recent versions (only sources --- hope I be
able to compile this...) and will see if this helps.

> Of the other ports you mentioned, I'd go for the Linux/PC port. Linux is
> a lot more friendly for software development than Windows9x.

  I like Linux pretty much, much more than W9x, not only for developing,
but for every day use, since it is similar to AmigaOS and is pretty stable,
but really is developing in Ada more friendly than e.g ObjectAda with
SoftStudio?

> Plus, Linux
> has proper processes, so a flaky compiler won't bring down your whole
> system. :-)

  I guess it's more the fault of lack of the memory protection in AmigaOS,
than something wrong with processes themselves, but I agree 8)

--
 ** Cromax of Alchemy, proud Amiga user since 1988. | sf, grunge, ufo, **
 **  Coding, programming, painting, playing drums.  | vegetarian food. **