* How to compile with GNAT?
@ 2000-11-21  0:00 Tomislav Kitynski
From: Tomislav Kitynski @ 2000-11-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there.

Because of studies I D/L GNAT 2.7.2.1 for Amiga (GeekGadgets port), I have
also GCC installed. Uhm, there's not even a word in the tgz how to use this
compiler. I tried gnatmake hello.adb, but it outputs some trash to console
and soon crashes the system... 8( Well, I got e.g. such a proggy:

with ada.text_io;
use ada.text_io;
procedure Hello is
begin
        put("Hello world!");
end hello;

saved under hello.adb --- please help me to do it in GNAT!
--
 ** Cromax of Alchemy, proud Amiga user since 1988. | sf, grunge, ufo, **
 **  Coding, programming, painting, playing drums.  | vegetarian food. **

* Re: How to compile with GNAT?
@ 2000-11-21  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-11-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <z4.v4.qA2ZLlcjVty4f8z05.NR@alchemy.panu.o.k.pl>,
  "Tomislav Kitynski" <cromax@alchemy.panu.o.k.pl> wrote:

> Because of studies I D/L GNAT 2.7.2.1 for Amiga (GeekGadgets port), I
> have also GCC installed. Uhm, there's not even a word in the tgz how
> to use this compiler. I tried gnatmake hello.adb, but it outputs some
> trash to console and soon crashes the system... 8( Well, I got e.g.

First off, the current public version of Gnat is 3.13p. Any version 2.X
is probably well over 4 years old. You *really* don't want to use a
version that old.

Secondly, in the most recent versions "gnatmake hello.adb" would try to
build an executable from the compilation unit "hello" in "hello.adb".
The fact that it tries to do something and dies nastily (rather than
giving you some error message) tells me that the port you have is
probably bad. You are almost certianly going to have to take that issue
(along with the documentation issue) up with the people who built that
port (GeekGadgets?). Given its vintage, I wish you the best of luck. But
in order to get your school work done, you may well have to use a
supported platform.

I'm not at all unsympathetic. I happen to have two Amigas at home. Back
when I was developing software on them, I used Modula-2 because that was
the best language available for the Amiga. But I would have switched to
Ada in a minute if it was available.

Again, good luck to you.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: How to compile with GNAT?
@ 2000-11-22  0:00 ` gdemont
From: gdemont @ 2000-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hullo.

"gnatmake hello.adb" should work, otherwise your GNAT is not well
installed or packaged. Try asking it in GNATLIST. There are people
using GNAT for all sorts of platforms, from these old 32-bit
multitasking systems on 68000 to the brand new MS-DOS 7.1 from
Windows 98 SE with the latest 8/16-bit single-tasking technology ;-) !

 GNATLIST links:
   http://lyris.seas.gwu.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=gnatlist&text_mode=1
   http://members.nbci.com/gnatlist/

HTH
Gautier  --  http://members.nbci.com/gdemont/gsoft.htm

@ 2000-11-22  0:00   ` Tomisław Kityński
From: Tomisław Kityński @ 2000-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <news:8veve4$d4r$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:

> First off, the current public version of Gnat is 3.13p. Any version 2.X
> is probably well over 4 years old. You *really* don't want to use a
> version that old.

  Uhm, yup, there's source for some 3.x version on GG server, but first
I wanted to run that thing at all (well, I'm a nebie in Ada --- I'm used
more to C/C++/Java stuff than Modula/Pascal/Ada langs), and since we have
"paraller programming" (or mulitasking programming? hell knows 8) course
here at technical university, we need Ada. Most of task to solve are
very simple and I strongly doubt I'll be in need of some very advanced
features of newer versions of GNAT, however now I consider downloading
more up to date sources of GNAT.

> Secondly, in the most recent versions "gnatmake hello.adb" would try to
> build an executable from the compilation unit "hello" in "hello.adb".

  That's what I supposed 8)

> The fact that it tries to do something and dies nastily (rather than
> giving you some error message) tells me that the port you have is
> probably bad.

  I tought it generates executable to stdio, but >hello didn't help
(it goes very probably to stderr) and using -q caused no garbage generation,
but as I said in previous article --- at some point it crashed the whole
system. But to be honest --- I don't believe it's bad --- if it's accesible
on GG server, I suppose it had to be tested, isn't it? There at least should
be possibility to compile the simplest prog, am I wrong? Well, maybe...

> You are almost certianly going to have to take that issue
> (along with the documentation issue) up with the people who built that
> port (GeekGadgets?).

  Seems like hard task, since --- as I said before --- there's not even
a smalest README --- just bin/ and lib/. Well, never mind.

> Given its vintage, I wish you the best of luck. But
> in order to get your school work done, you may well have to use a
> supported platform.

  I got APUS (Linux PPC) on my Amiga too, and even second intel machine
with W98/Linux, but, you know, I'd like to do it on my Amiga 8) Finally
if there's a port of GNAT for AmigaOS, why not to use it?

> I'm not at all unsympathetic. I happen to have two Amigas at home.

  8)))

> Back
> when I was developing software on them, I used Modula-2 because that was
> the best language available for the Amiga. But I would have switched to
> Ada in a minute if it was available.

  Uhm, well, as I started "real" programming on Amiga, I picked Asm/C,
since it was the most effective/popular languages, at these times. I don't
know much about Modula-2 or Oberon, but AFAIR it is in some kind similar to
Pascal? (Sorry, if you now start laughing out loudly 8). Well, I didn't liked
Pascal too much, and now Ada looks kind of similar (at least at first sight).
Of course Ada have very powerful features (e.g. generic packages wheter
procedures) which Pascal lacks, and maybe-maybe I will convice myself more
to Ada. But, you know, I need it working on AmigaOS --- I don't like
Windows (which I use at work --- I am Java programmer); Linux is much more
interresting, but I know AmigaOS the best and I simply get used to it.

> Again, good luck to you.

  Thank you for all the help, I hope to manage it somehow. Bye bye! 8)

From: Tomisław Kityński @ 2000-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Użytkownik <gdemont@my-deja.com> napisał w wiadomości news:8vgd9n$fo4$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hullo.
>
> "gnatmake hello.adb" should work, otherwise your GNAT is not well
> installed or packaged. Try asking it in GNATLIST. There are people
> using GNAT for all sorts of platforms, from these old 32-bit
> multitasking systems on 68000 to the brand new MS-DOS 7.1 from
> Windows 98 SE with the latest 8/16-bit single-tasking technology ;-) !

  Thanx! ;))))

--

@ 2000-11-22  0:00     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3a1bb508$1@news.vogel.pl>,
  =?iso-8859-2?Q?Tomis=B3aw_Kity=F1ski?= <cromax@amiga.pl> wrote:
> In article <news:8veve4$d4r$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> I tought it generates executable to stdio, but >hello didn't help
> (it goes very probably to stderr) and using -q caused no garbage =

Well, I haven't ever used the Amiga port. But on every other port I know
of it does *not* send the executable to stdio. "gnatmake hello.adb"
should create your executable in a file named "hello.exe" (assuming
executables require a ".exe" extension. I've forgotten how the Amiga
handled that.)

If you are getting garbage to stdout, something is horribly wrong.
Perhaps it would be worth trying to download it again.

Of the other ports you mentioned, I'd go for the Linux/PC port. Linux is
a lot more friendly for software development than Windows9x. Plus, Linux
has proper processes, so a flaky compiler won't bring down your whole
system. :-)

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: How to compile with GNAT?
@ 2000-11-22  0:00   ` David Starner
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Starner @ 2000-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:11:07 GMT, Ted Dennison wrote:
>In article <z4.v4.qA2ZLlcjVty4f8z05.NR@alchemy.panu.o.k.pl>,
>  "Tomislav Kitynski" <cromax@alchemy.panu.o.k.pl> wrote:
>
>> Because of studies I D/L GNAT 2.7.2.1 for Amiga (GeekGadgets port), I
>> have also GCC installed. Uhm, there's not even a word in the tgz how
>> to use this compiler. I tried gnatmake hello.adb, but it outputs some
>> trash to console and soon crashes the system... 8( Well, I got e.g.
>
>First off, the current public version of Gnat is 3.13p. Any version 2.X
>is probably well over 4 years old. You *really* don't want to use a
>version that old.

Actually, 2.7.2.1 probably refers to the GCC version. It's probably
a 3.x version of GNAT, then.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http://dvdeug.dhis.org

* Re: How to compile with GNAT?
@ 2000-11-22  0:00     ` Scott Ingram
From: Scott Ingram @ 2000-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tomis�aw Kity�ski wrote:

> to Ada. But, you know, I need it working on AmigaOS --- I don't like
> Windows (which I use at work --- I am Java programmer); Linux is much more
> interresting, but I know AmigaOS the best and I simply get used to it.

(snip)

>   Thank you for all the help, I hope to manage it somehow. Bye bye! 8)

There are reasonably up to date GNAT packages for Linux.  It might be
helpful to use one of them to compare the behavior of your Amiga
against.

Also, how does the compiler behave if you feed it some C source code?
--
Scott Ingram
Vice-Chair, Baltimore SIGAda

* Re: How to compile with GNAT?
@ 2000-11-22  5:02   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-11-22  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8veve4$d4r$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> In article <z4.v4.qA2ZLlcjVty4f8z05.NR@alchemy.panu.o.k.pl>,
>   "Tomislav Kitynski" <cromax@alchemy.panu.o.k.pl> wrote:
>
> > Because of studies I D/L GNAT 2.7.2.1 for Amiga (GeekGadgets
port), I
> > have also GCC installed. Uhm, there's not even a word in the
tgz how
> > to use this compiler. I tried gnatmake hello.adb, but it
outputs some
> > trash to console and soon crashes the system... 8( Well, I
got e.g.

> First off, the current public version of Gnat is 3.13p. Any
version 2.X
> is probably well over 4 years old. You *really* don't want to
use a
> version that old.

Well a lot of useful work got done with that Amiga compiler ...
But it would be an effort to update it.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: How to compile with GNAT?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-11-22  6:06   ` Fraser Wilson
From: Fraser Wilson @ 2000-11-22  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8veve4$d4r$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Ted Dennison  <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:

>First off, the current public version of Gnat is 3.13p. Any version 2.X
>is probably well over 4 years old. You *really* don't want to use a
>version that old.

I would guess that the version number in "GNAT 2.7.2.1" really refers to
the gcc version, which would make it not quite as old.  Still not up to
date though.

Fraser.
fraser 'at' synopsys 'dot' com

* Re: How to compile with GNAT?
@ 2000-11-23  0:00       ` Tomisław Kityński
From: Tomisław Kityński @ 2000-11-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Użytkownik "Ted Dennison" <dennison@telepath.com> napisał w wiadomości news:8vgn9b$nun$1@nnrp1.deja.com...

> Well, I haven't ever used the Amiga port. But on every other port I know
> of it does *not* send the executable to stdio. "gnatmake hello.adb"
> should create your executable in a file named "hello.exe" (assuming
> executables require a ".exe" extension. I've forgotten how the Amiga
> handled that.)

  AmigaOS does not care about file extensions (which IMHO are for user,
not for OS), so it ought become hello, I suppose. Anyway --- sending
binaries to stdout would be, yeah, strange...

> If you are getting garbage to stdout, something is horribly wrong.
> Perhaps it would be worth trying to download it again.

  Exactly --- I try more recent versions (only sources --- hope I be
able to compile this...) and will see if this helps.

> Of the other ports you mentioned, I'd go for the Linux/PC port. Linux is
> a lot more friendly for software development than Windows9x.

  I like Linux pretty much, much more than W9x, not only for developing,
but for every day use, since it is similar to AmigaOS and is pretty stable,
but really is developing in Ada more friendly than e.g ObjectAda with
SoftStudio?

> Plus, Linux
> has proper processes, so a flaky compiler won't bring down your whole
> system. :-)

  I guess it's more the fault of lack of the memory protection in AmigaOS,
than something wrong with processes themselves, but I agree 8)

--

@ 2000-11-23  0:00         ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-11-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tomis�aw Kity�ski wrote:

> U�ytkownik "Ted Dennison" <dennison@telepath.com> napisa� w wiadomo�ci news:8vgn9b$nun$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> >
> > Of the other ports you mentioned, I'd go for the Linux/PC port. Linux is
> > a lot more friendly for software development than Windows9x.
> >
>   I like Linux pretty much, much more than W9x, not only for developing,
> but for every day use, since it is similar to AmigaOS and is pretty stable,
> but really is developing in Ada more friendly than e.g ObjectAda with
> SoftStudio?

If you want to do serious development on Windows, you really ought to be using NT or 2K. Even then, Windows
can be made to be a good development platform only if you are willing to go spend a lot of money on extra
software. For my purposes it *still* isn't so hot after that, until you go and install Cygwin as well.

Linux is a good development platform right out of the box.

But most of this is going to be overkill for simple school projects anyway.

--
T.E.D.

Home - mailto:dennison@telepath.com  Work - mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com
WWW  - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html  ICQ  - 10545591