From: "Tomisław Kityński" <cromax@amiga.pl>
Subject: Re: How to compile with GNAT?
Date: 2000/11/22
Date: 2000-11-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <news:8veve4$d4r$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:

> First off, the current public version of Gnat is 3.13p. Any version 2.X
> is probably well over 4 years old. You *really* don't want to use a
> version that old.

  Uhm, yup, there's source for some 3.x version on GG server, but first
I wanted to run that thing at all (well, I'm a nebie in Ada --- I'm used
more to C/C++/Java stuff than Modula/Pascal/Ada langs), and since we have
"paraller programming" (or mulitasking programming? hell knows 8) course
here at technical university, we need Ada. Most of task to solve are
very simple and I strongly doubt I'll be in need of some very advanced
features of newer versions of GNAT, however now I consider downloading
more up to date sources of GNAT.

> Secondly, in the most recent versions "gnatmake hello.adb" would try to
> build an executable from the compilation unit "hello" in "hello.adb".

  That's what I supposed 8)

> The fact that it tries to do something and dies nastily (rather than
> giving you some error message) tells me that the port you have is
> probably bad.

  I tought it generates executable to stdio, but >hello didn't help
(it goes very probably to stderr) and using -q caused no garbage generation,
but as I said in previous article --- at some point it crashed the whole
system. But to be honest --- I don't believe it's bad --- if it's accesible
on GG server, I suppose it had to be tested, isn't it? There at least should
be possibility to compile the simplest prog, am I wrong? Well, maybe...

> You are almost certianly going to have to take that issue
> (along with the documentation issue) up with the people who built that
> port (GeekGadgets?).

  Seems like hard task, since --- as I said before --- there's not even
a smalest README --- just bin/ and lib/. Well, never mind.

> Given its vintage, I wish you the best of luck. But
> in order to get your school work done, you may well have to use a
> supported platform.

  I got APUS (Linux PPC) on my Amiga too, and even second intel machine
with W98/Linux, but, you know, I'd like to do it on my Amiga 8) Finally
if there's a port of GNAT for AmigaOS, why not to use it?

> I'm not at all unsympathetic. I happen to have two Amigas at home.

  8)))

> Back
> when I was developing software on them, I used Modula-2 because that was
> the best language available for the Amiga. But I would have switched to
> Ada in a minute if it was available.

  Uhm, well, as I started "real" programming on Amiga, I picked Asm/C,
since it was the most effective/popular languages, at these times. I don't
know much about Modula-2 or Oberon, but AFAIR it is in some kind similar to
Pascal? (Sorry, if you now start laughing out loudly 8). Well, I didn't liked
Pascal too much, and now Ada looks kind of similar (at least at first sight).
Of course Ada have very powerful features (e.g. generic packages wheter
procedures) which Pascal lacks, and maybe-maybe I will convice myself more
to Ada. But, you know, I need it working on AmigaOS --- I don't like
Windows (which I use at work --- I am Java programmer); Linux is much more
interresting, but I know AmigaOS the best and I simply get used to it.

> Again, good luck to you.

  Thank you for all the help, I hope to manage it somehow. Bye bye! 8)

--
 ** Cromax of Alchemy, proud Amiga user since 1988. | sf, grunge, ufo, **
 **  Coding, programming, painting, playing drums.  | vegetarian food. **