From: Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: [gnuada, question] installations directory
Date: 2 Jan 2006 12:08:34 -0600
Date: 2006-01-02T12:08:34-06:00	[thread overview]

In article <32492718.GlmySslk4r@linux1.krischik.com>, Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> Georg Bauhaus wrote:

>> Or, isn't there an rpm option to install in separate
>> installation roots?
>
> Yes there is. The problem is the search path for DLLs. The path of an DLL is
> hard-coded into the executable. There is also an additional search which
> can be set in /etc/ld.so.conf.d when the DLL is not found at the "usual"
> place.

The VMS equivalent tools have a command procedure to "choose which
version of <product-name> you want" and that command procedure defines
logical names where shareable images (similar to DLLs I think) can
be found.  The name inside the image points to the shareable image
via the logical name.

> But that is all manual extra installation and can be quite tricky - nothing
> I would want dump on an unwary beginner of Ada.

How about having the default method point to the "standard place"?
Those unwary beginners do not care about multiple versions.