From: pascmartin@mail.earthlink.net (Pascal F. Martin)
Subject: Re: GNAT -vs- ObjectAda (was Re: where is the faq)
Date: 1999/07/29
Date: 1999-07-29T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7ni275$kfs$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
	Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> writes:
> Not clear why this is annoying (though anything can annoy
> anyone of course :-) GDB is entirely non-intrusive, so as long
> as the program does not hit a breakpoint or get a fatal signal,
> the fact that gdb is somehwhere is virtual memory has little
> effect on the operating environment.

Having gdb running is annoying because:

Gdb and the application symbols takes a significant amount of memory.
That is memory the application cannot use anymore.

A PC application must be easy to install. When software is installed
on thousands of PCs, every installation problem may become costly.
If gdb has to be installed with each application, there is one more
chance something would goes wrong, especially when the user is
installing several programs, each trying to install gdb, possibly
different versions of gdb.

It is my experience that there is not two identical PC. May sound
strange, but the same model may encounter different problems. Just
the order in which the same applications are installed may (and
often do) end in different configurations.

If gdb is running, there is possibly one more task in the task bar
(for the gdb interface). One uninformed user could by mistake kill
gdb. Let remember that most people now use PCs, but computer
programmers are a minority: most PC users have no computer degree.

--

Pascal F. Martin.