From: Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com>
Subject: Re: Ada Letters
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 12:09:38 GMT
Date: 2004-01-05T12:09:38+00:00	[thread overview]

Right. I can do without the political/social analyzing that goes on in
CACM and would be more interested if they stuck to at least more general
uses of computing - but some of that is editorial policy and some of it
is the material they are presented with.

As for SIGAda - the biggest problem is likely to be lack of involvement
of enough people to do a good job of it. Is anyone actively working on
articles for the newsletter? Is anyone volunteering to help out with the
editing & production? Is anyone at least getting involved in the
committees? SIGAda had its heyday when The Mandate still existed because
the big defense contractors would pay to send people to the conventions
& participate in the committees.  Without The Mandate, the participants
had better find a way to make it work on their own and that means
figuring out what you want to get out of it and what you're willing to
put into it. Its an all-volunteer thing, you know. (Is it time again to
observe how all-volunteer free-to-the-world software development efforts
are difficult to make work? :-)

More and bigger commercial users of Ada would help SIGAda be a better
organization. Developing a marketable product in Ada and selling it
would be a good start - it provides grist for Ada Letters articles,
technical papers for SIGAda conventions and a company with a vested
interest in watching Ada grow & hence likely to sponsor SIGAda activities.

MDC

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

>         CACM does seem to have spun off all the stuff I found interesting into
> a myriad of specialized Transactions -- and who can afford to carry all
> of those for one or two good articles a year. Instead we get something
> that is heavily biased toward social matters (my opinion).

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "Face it ladies, its not the dress that makes you look fat.
     Its the FAT that makes you look fat."

         --  Al Bundy