From: Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com>
Subject: Re: Happy Birthday Ada
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:19:26 GMT
Date: 2003-12-17T13:19:26+00:00	[thread overview]

Beyond pure nostalgia, I couldn't see much point. I don't have any
software that requires a PDP-10 processor. I'd be curious about the
logic of XKL in spending money to port to an architecture that is not
likely to have much of a future in any commercial sense. Maybe there are
still some PDP-10 users out there who still need some support, but it
would seem that mostly they'd be looking for a migration path to some
architecture with a future.

To get back on topic: This is a lesson for Ada. It is facing
obsolescence and is hanging on to a user base that is for the most part
looking for migration paths to something "new" with more "industry
support". (This is what I'm hearing from my customers at least.) If Ada
doesn't want to be a museum piece right next to the PDP-10, it needs to
find a way of exciting and attracting *new* users and *new* projects on
a mass scale.

MDC

healyzh@aracnet.com wrote:

> GCC, not GNAT is being ported to TOPS-20, XKL is paying for the port to run
> on the XKL-1.  There are still real PDP-10's running on the Internet, and
> several emulated ones as well.  If you're interested in PDP-10 emulation,
> see my webpage at http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/pdp10emu.html, it also has
> plenty of links to info on the real HW.  As for how much of a userbase, I
> don't really know, but it is interesting to note that XKL is rumored to be
> working on an XKL-2.  For that matter there are a couple of Hobbyists
> building their own PDP-10 based systems out of FPGA's.  I gather some of the
> SC-20's and SC-30's are still in use as well.  All the genuine DEC CPU's and
> the Flooney's seem to have been retired.

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "Trying is the first step towards failure."
         --  Homer Simpson