From: Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com>
Subject: Re: SIGada Conference
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:10:53 GMT
Date: 2003-12-16T13:10:53+00:00	[thread overview]

That can easily be misleading. Its possible that some companies are
growing by getting a larger share of a shrinking pie. As some companies
abandon Ada as a business venture, others pick up whatever share they
may have had and show signs of "Growth" - but it doesn't imply Ada is
necessarily doing well.

I'd like to see Ada get somewhere, but there needs to be a better metric
than the business growth of some few companies. Jobs in Ada, new project
starts in Ada, classes taught in Ada, etc. Any of those would be a beter
metric - unless you could get total revenues for all companies doing Ada
business (and even that would miss use of Ada in internal work by big
companies like Boeing, Lockheed, etc.) In any event, its tough to get
those metrics so we're still left with perceptions and best guesses. My
perception is that Ada has been in general on the decline and had better
do something to excite the world if it wants to be around with any real
strength in another ten years.

MDC

Stephen Leake wrote:

> The most interesting thing was that there are several companies making
> money using Ada, and they are all growing :).

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "Trying is the first step towards failure."
         --  Homer Simpson