* DWARF output from Gnat on a Windows platform.
@ 2003-11-14  4:28 Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-11-14  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Someone suggested I investigate the availability of getting DWARF output
from the Gnat compiler on a Windows platform. I am not terribly familiar
with DWARF (or ELF - but I've encountered the buzzwords at least & have
some idea what its all about.) so I don't know what the issues may be.
We were looking into applications that would involve needing information
from a symbol table and this came up as a possibility. Any info would be
appreciated. Thanks.

MDC

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "Trying is the first step towards failure."
         --  Homer Simpson

* Re: DWARF output from Gnat on a Windows platform.
@ 2003-11-14  4:55 ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2003-11-14  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't really comment as to whether you would really need DWARF for this
but Iwould
imaging that  using the -gdwarf-2 option to a up to date gcc release would
cause either the compiler to die, do nothing or write DWARF output
as requested.

Have you looked at

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bfdada/

@ 2003-11-14 12:09   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-11-14 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'll try the switch & see what happens. I had not seen the web page, but
it looks like there may at least be some information to be gleaned from
there. Basically, we have something (written in Ada) that is utilizing
DWARF as its input. We'd like to see if we could use it in the PC world
under Windows. I don't know if that's possible - hence the fishing
expedition.

AFAIK, DWARF is something that is connected to ELF with ELF being an
object file format and DWARF being the debugging data. Gnat may be able
to generate it, but since Gnat uses native host linkers, is it likely
that it is going to make ELF/DWARF for a PC? AFAIK, the PC linker isn't
going to suck up ELF object files so the data (if it could be produced)
wouldn't do much good. It might work if there was a whole PC based
ELF/DWARF linking kit that could be used instead of the native PC
linker, but that's kind of going about it the hard way.

But you don't know until you investigate. Thanks for the info & we'll
see if anything comes out of this thread.

MDC