From: Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com>
Subject: Re: Grace 0.51 released
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 02:10:37 GMT
Date: 2003-10-28T02:10:37+00:00	[thread overview]

Nick Roberts wrote:
> Stephen Leake wrote:
>> In the context of the long-lasting "yet another Ada library" thread,
>> remember all the discussion a couple years ago about Grace? How many
>> people have contributed? Two.
>

> Or alternatively, let's call it 'Charles', or maybe 'ASCL', or 'Booch',
> or 'PragmARC', or 'GAPSE', or 'AdaSL', or 'SAL', or 'Tenet', or ...

And therein ought to lie a clue as to how successful all this can be in
getting a Conventional Ada Library going. Grace and others were well
meaning efforts that depended on volunteers with no real sanction by
anybody in the Ada compiler business and no funding of any sort. They
basically languished or were not adopted in any wholesale manner. It
isn't to criticize the efforts - just to realize that we are *not* going
to get some kind of conventional library going by volunteering for
another effort at remaking things that have not succeeded in becoming a
standard already. Its been *TRIED* numerous times before. If its going
to work, it needs a different model.

If everyone wanted to get on board with Grace (or Charles, or ASCL or
Booch or PragmARC, or....) I'd be with them. What is going to get one of
these accepted as the basis on which to build a bigger "Conventional Ada
Library"??? I just don't see it happening without even one vendor on
board. Nor do I see it succeeding long term without some kind of money
invested.

Lets quit kidding ourselves that we'll all invest thousands of hours in
building a library without any compensation for the good of Ada and
expect that all the Ada users will suddenly hop on board and start using
what we've so generously given them. It hasn't worked. It isn't going to
work. Let's find a different way to do it.

MDC
Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "So if I understand 'The Matrix Reloaded' correctly, the Matrix is
     basically a Microsoft operating system - it runs for a while and
     then crashes and reboots. By design, no less. Neo is just a
     memory leak that's too hard to fix, so they left him in... The
     users don't complain because they're packed in slush and kept
     sedated"

         --  Marin D. Condic