From: "Robert I. Eachus" <rieachus@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: using 'storage_size ?
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:53:20 GMT
Date: 2003-10-13T18:53:20+00:00	[thread overview]

Alex Xela wrote:
> -------------
>
> Yes, but the gnat strategy should not matter with the fact that when I
> define a pool of 8 Mo, I should be able to allocate at least 5Mo.
> Alex.

It is the creation of the pool that is overflowing, not the allocation
from the pool.  Incidently the reason that GNAT does it this way is that
in many system designs getting Storage_Error "up front" is a much better
  problem to have than getting a couple hours--or days into running your
program, then run out of storage.  This is a common design practice in
real-time systems.  All storage allocations are done during
initialization, using sizes computed from the requirements documents.

--
                                                     Robert I. Eachus

"Quality is the Buddha. Quality is scientific reality. Quality is the
goal of Art. It remains to work these concepts into a practical,
down-to-earth context, and for this there is nothing more practical or
down-to-earth than what I have been talking about all along...the repair
of an old motorcycle."  -- from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Maintenance by Robert Pirsig