From: Jerry Petrey <"jdpetrey<NOSPAM>"@raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: Omission in the Ada Standard
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 09:56:17 -0700
Date: 2003-10-09T09:56:17-07:00	[thread overview]

Keith Thompson wrote:

> "Jeff C," <nolongersafeto@userealemailsniff.com> writes:
> [...]
> > Note again that no language I know of has the predefined ability to
> > talk to ports as part of the language definition..
>
> Ada 83 had:
>
> package LOW_LEVEL_IO is
>    --  declarations of the possible types for DEVICE and DATA;
>    --  declarations of overloaded procedures for these types:
>    procedure SEND_CONTROL    (DEVICE : device_type; DATA : in out data_type);
>    procedure RECEIVE_CONTROL (DEVICE : device_type; DATA : in out data_type);
> end;
>
> I don't know whether anybody actually implemented it, and it was
> dropped in Ada 95 (it's not just obsolescent, there's no reference to
> it at all).
>
> --
> Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@cts.com  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>

DDCI implemented Low_Level_IO for their 80x86 cross compiler.  We used it on a
project I just finished working on.

Jerry

-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation (GPS/INS), Guidance, & Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to reply