From: Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com>
Subject: Re: compiling error
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:44:25 GMT
Date: 2003-09-25T12:44:25+00:00	[thread overview]

I think I've seen a related problem, but I don't know if it is because
of the pretty-printer being broke or something to do with the project
files. When I've attempted to change the defaults for things like
indentation, etc., it creates something in a file that can't be properly
parsed & you have to remove it or it won't work. Do you know if this has
to do with the 5.0 version issue you mentioned or is it strictly a
pretty-printer thing?

I don't in general like to have editors try to "help" me while I'm
typing. But any attempts to tailor the "help" to my personal preferences
seem to cause the thing to go crazy. I imagine there will be some
improvement on this over time, but its really annoying when something so
integral to the everyday use doesn't work right. (I can deal with some
sideline feature that is only occasionally used not working as intended,
but when you're doing something common - like typing - its annoying not
having that work well.)

MDC

Jeff C, wrote:

> The next problem (assuming one works around the one above by building a 5.0
> series compiler from CVS) is that
> the pretty printer at least appears to be poorly integrated into the tool.
> The editor does some level of indent/pretty
> printing as you go but if you have existing code you want to reformat you
> select pretty print it creates
> a new window that is not the original source window to reformat the code.
> There are probably reasons why this is
> good.. But it feels yucky and requires copy/paste back to original buffer.

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

     "All reformers, however strict their social conscience,
      live in houses just as big as they can pay for."

          --Logan Pearsall Smith