From: Jeffrey Carter <spam@spam.com>
Subject: Re: Virus Resistive Software
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:29:49 GMT
Date: 2003-08-25T19:29:49+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert C. Leif wrote:
 > It appears from the latest news reports, that present commercial
 > software, particularly email programs, is susceptible to attack by
 > viruses. A question with a very big payoff is could software written
 > in Ada and perhaps in part in XML be made significantly more virus
 > resistant than present commercial software, such as Microsoft�
 > Outlook�? For instance, would the strong type checking of both Ada
 > and XML schema help.

The problem is more the insistence on using software that is known to be
vulnerable and faulty, such as Outlook, despite the availability of
better software. For example, I use Mozilla, and have had no problems
with the current crop of viruses and worms. Outlook is probably the most
vulnerable mail program out there; at least when I had to use it, by
default it installed with most of its protections turned off, and most
of its most vulnerable features turned on. Nevertheless, it is probably
the most widely used mail program. No amount of decent engineering can
solve this problem.

--
Jeff Carter
"If a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate."