From: "Robert I. Eachus" <rieachus@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Is this legal? (Language lawyer question)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:50:45 GMT
Date: 2003-08-20T20:50:45+00:00	[thread overview]

Martin Krischik wrote:
> Adam Beneschan wrote:
>

>>I can't see how this wouldn't be ambiguous.  Although ZZZ.all and Elem
>>both have type Item'Class, it appears to me that there are two "="
>>functions visible at that point:
>>
>>   function "=" (L, R : Item) return Boolean;
>>   function "=" (L, R : Item'Class) return Boolean;
>>
>>where the first one is the predefined operator of the generic formal
>>type Item (see RM95 12.5(8)), and the second one is the generic formal
>>function declared above.  Applying 8.6(22-23), the expected type for
>>the parameters in the first function is Item, and that means that it's
>>acceptable for the actual parameter to resolve either to Item or
>>Item'Class.  The consequence is that both of the above functions are
>>acceptable interpretations for the construct, and thus the construct
>>should be ambiguous.
>

> Intersting. Well it does compile and the programs based on it are running
> fine. Still if I had made a fundamental mistake here I would like to know
> about it.
>
> With regards
>
> Martin.

Please forward the actual example to ada-comment@ada-auth.org.  I've
looked at it, and I think that "we all know" what is meant, but that
isn't what the standard says...

--
                                               Robert I. Eachus

"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure." -- Jacques Chirac,
President of France
"As far as France is concerned, you're right." -- Rush Limbaugh