From: Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com>
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:52:33 -0400
Date: 2003-07-20T10:52:37+00:00	[thread overview]

That would be nice, but may not be practical. Not all GUI builders work
the same & if you wanted a tightly integrated product (something where
the GUI builder isn't just fired off as a separate process - what's the
point? I could have done that without GPS.) it probably wouldn't be
possible without picking which (of a very few available anyway) GUI
builder to support.

GtkAda uses an XML based "database" that ought to be integrated into the
  GPS "project". It also uses some code generation directories for
preserving hand-mods and such that would need to be considered as to how
to integrate it. You'd want GPS to display and access all the different
window components one might build much as it already does access Ada
packages. If you don't get this sort of tight integration, you might
just as well not bother. You can always get some other product, run it
stand-alone and manage the artifacts yourself. I'd think that for GPS to
try to leave the door open for any/all other possible GUI builders, it
would have to reduce itself to simply invoking some subprocess. What's
the point of that? I could already double-click on an icon on my desktop
- moving it to an icon in GPS doesn't help much.

Its a standard problem in engineering. Either you try to stay general
enough that all the options are open - in which case, you don't do much
- or you bite the bullet, get to a specific implementation and run with
it, thus closing off other options.

MDC

Fionn mac Cuimhaill wrote:

> I would like to see GUI builder support added in such away that GUI
> builders could be put in as some kind of loadable module, so that
> there could be a choice of several.

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jast.mil/

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

     "In general the art of government consists in taking as
     much money as possible from one class of citizens to give
     to the other."

         --  Voltaire