From: "Robert I. Eachus" <rieachus@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Debugger Rant
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:52:46 GMT
Date: 2003-07-18T19:52:46+00:00	[thread overview]

Alexander Kopilovitch wrote:

> (And yes, every time when I work with debugger I feel myself as I have a revolver
> in my hand -:)

ROTFL!  But I tend to feel that using a debugger is more like using a
bazooka or a hand grenade.  It can do the job but it is hell on the
spectators.  You can make lots of changes with a debugger that the Ada
compiler will prevent you from making.  If you know what you are doing,
and can mentally track the effects of your changes, including through
compiler optimizations, great.

But I am not that smart, and I tend to suspect that no one else is either.

If you use a debugger as a tool to steer around a program so you can
figure out what is going on, then make changes and recompile, that is
better.

But what I/we are advocating is that you write software that is
demonstratably correct and demonstrates that it meets all the
requirements.  In other words Marc sees as a 'normal' use of the
debugger, I see as a requirements definition failure.  You may get me to
sign off on a design where a debugger is required to demonstrate certain
requirements.  But only after slogging through several days of
requirements analysis--and then I will go home and think about it some
more.  Coverage analysis tools, expecially on secure software are a very
different story.  But I will still protest coverage that can only be
demonstrated using a debugger.(It depends on how much code is involved
in the debugger demonstration, and how much needs to be mangled by the
debugger.  I still much prefer object code inspection in many cases.)

--

                                                        Robert I. Eachus

�In an ally, considerations of house, clan, planet, race are
insignificant beside two prime questions, which are: 1. Can he shoot? 2.
Will he aim at your enemy?� -- from the Laiden novels by Sharon Lee and
Steve Miller.