From: CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Ada Embeded System Alternatives
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:04:42 GMT
Date: 2003-06-26T22:04:42+00:00	[thread overview]

Paul Robinson wrote:

> I've been assigned the task to provide alternatives and solutions
> to bringing legacy Ada 83 code to a new embedded system.
>
> The new system's hardware, OS and language of choice is fixed
> (Mercury Computer SBC PPCs, MC/OS, and C).  The use of C is not
> required, however, if a justifiable alternative is presented.
>
> The options I see are:
> 1) Port the code from Ada to C
> 2) Find Ada compilier for  MC/OS PPCs
>
> Translating to C gives better tools and vendor support.  Using
> Ada gives more robust code and eliminates translation errors.
>
> Has someone pursued any options similar to these on a project
> before? If so, what did you do, how did you do it, and how was
> the outcome?

Ada 95 is supposed to be completely downward compatible to Ada
83.  There is a gnu implementation of Ada 95 (GNAT) which should
be available on any system to which gcc has been ported.  So I
think your search should involve no more than finding a port of a
recent gcc.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!