From: Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com>
Subject: Re: Provisional Standards was RE: Ada.Networks.Sockets hierarchy (Provisional Standard?)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 07:43:23 -0400
Date: 2003-06-10T11:43:26+00:00	[thread overview]

I would be interested in working on a standard library for Ada (outside
the ARM, but considered "Conventional" or "Provisional") However I have
a couple of reasonable restrictions:

1) We would be totally wasting our time unless we could get some kind of
acceptance from the folks who could put a label on it that says
"Official" in some manner. There's some committee covering the Ada
standard that should be contacted. There are a handful of vendors out
there that have some level of interest in continuing to develop &
promote their Ada compilers. They should be contacted. If they say
"Yeah, we'll work with you on requirements, stamp as "Official" whatever
you produce and see to it that it gets distributed with the
compilers...." then you've got something worth working on. Anything else
is going to be a failure. Trying to get approval and acceptance on
something like this *after* it gets built won't happen. If it will, why
hasn't it already happened with one or more of the existing libraries?

2) I am willing to do *some* level of work strictly out of the kindness
of my heart and desire to see Ada benefit, but I don't think that level
of effort is going to produce anything more than a few toys. If we want
to build a *serious* and *credible* library for Ada, it isn't going to
happen unless there is some money involved somewhere along the line. I
think a scheme could be set up that would make the production of a
conventional Ada library something that would pay off. I have some ideas
about how that could work. What I believe is this: If there isn't some
payment either up front or down the road, nobody is going to devote much
time to it and all you'll get is some smallish body of mostly
unsupported stuff. If it can be somehow turned into a product that
produces some paychecks somewhere along the line, you can then
continually grow it into something truly useful and spend time
supporting it so that developers will feel comfortable using it.

I've got some ideas how this could be made to work. Contact me if you'd
like to talk more about it off line.

MDC

Warren W. Gay VE3WWG wrote:

I know there is some casual interest, but is there any real interest
in starting a "formal project"?   Or is there an existing one that
people should be "pointed to"?

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jast.mil/

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

     "In general the art of government consists in taking as
     much money as possible from one class of citizens to give
     to the other."

         --  Voltaire