From: "Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" <ve3wwg@cogeco.ca>
Subject: Re: Provisional Standards was RE: Ada.Networks.Sockets hierarchy (Provisional Standard?)
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 16:48:31 -0400
Date: 2003-06-05T16:48:31-04:00	[thread overview]

Marin David Condic wrote:
> I think that when discussing libraries - especially something like XML
> that might be in quite a state of flux over the years - that we need a
> mechanism different from the ARM. If a "Provisional Standard" committee
> were to exist under some auspices that had the cooperation of some
> reasonably large subset of the interested players, they could quickly
> react to changes in the real world. XML may win or lose as a standard.
> It might evolve or be "embraced and extended". New technology may emerge
> that makes it obsolete. In this fast paced technological world, nobody
> has a crystal ball that can see better than a year in advance. Waiting
> for the ARM to react is a guarantee of failure.
>
> SIGAda is a forum that could serve to develop and maintain a
> "Provisional Standard" library. (Isn't that where ASIS originated?) Or
> the vendors could form up a research corporation that might even become
> self-sustaining if it produced a library that could generate revenue in
> the form of support, updates, etc. (Such a research corporation might
> even be able to get more developed by volunteers by promising some kind
> of royalties for contributions that are accepted.) I think the forum
> could be found and the work accomplished, but it needs some kind of
> direction and acceptance by the vendors.
>
> BTW: I agree about the name. If "Provisional Standard" is not
> acceptable, go call it "Harold" for all that it matters to me. ;-)
>
> MDC

OK, now that some initial discussion has occurred, is there any further
interest in proceeding with the generation of a "provisional standard"?

If so, what should it be called, and were would you like to host it?

I am going to as SourceForge to remove the project that was set up
for me, since it is now inappropriately named (ada0y-net-std).

I know there is some casual interest, but is there any real interest
in starting a "formal project"?   Or is there an existing one that
people should be "pointed to"?

Warren.

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG