* String
@ 2003-05-31  8:55 And838N
From: And838N @ 2003-05-31  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Hello group!
I only have one question at this time and I will be out of the groups current discussion.  At least for a while anyway.

Where is the type String defined?  That is, which file, which package.  I grep'd all the spec files that came with the GNAT compiler and there is no line that says "type String is ...".  Is it in a lib somewhere?  what filename should I look for?

Thanks a bunch!!

Andrew

* Re: String
@ 2003-05-31  9:38 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2003-05-31  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

And838N@netscape.net writes:

> Where is the type String defined?  That is, which file, which package.  I
> grep'd all the spec files that came with the GNAT compiler and there is no
> line that says "type String is ...".  Is it in a lib somewhere?  what
> filename should I look for?

In package standard.adb, run gnatpsta to display it.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: String
@ 2003-05-31  9:39 ` Sergey Koshcheyev
From: Sergey Koshcheyev @ 2003-05-31  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

<And838N@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Hello group!
> I only have one question at this time and I will be out of the groups
current discussion.  At least for a while anyway.

> Where is the type String defined?  That is, which file, which package.  I
grep'd all the spec files that came with the GNAT compiler and there is no
line that says "type String is ...".  Is it in a lib somewhere?  what
filename should I look for?

It's defined in the package Standard. This is a special package, so it isn't
contained in any file, but is sort of preloaded into GNAT. If you run
"gnatpsta" (short for "print Standard"), you can see its contents.

Sergey.

* Re: String
@ 2003-05-31  9:40   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2003-05-31  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> In package standard.adb, run gnatpsta to display it.

I meant standard.ads (this is a spec), but well this file does not really
exist on the file system anyway.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: String
@ 2003-06-01  3:03 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2003-06-01  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

And838N@netscape.net wrote:

 > Where is the type String defined?  That is, which file, which
 > package.  I grep'd all the spec files that came with the GNAT
 > compiler and there is no line that says "type String is ...".  Is it
 > in a lib somewhere?  what filename should I look for?

String is defined in package Standard, and Standard is defined in the
ARM (ARM A.1).

Standard is a special package; everything you compile is considered to
be compiled as part of package Standard. This is why you can use the
types declared in Standard (Integer, Boolean, String, and so on) without
having to put "with Standard; use Standard;" on everything.

As such, Standard is unlikely to exist as a file for any compiler.

--
Jeff Carter
"When Roman engineers built a bridge, they had to stand under it

* String
@ 2005-08-31 16:52 TC
From: TC @ 2005-08-31 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

there is a function that calculate string lenght?
how use that?

* Re: String
@ 2005-08-31 17:38 ` Frode Tennebø
From: Frode Tennebø @ 2005-08-31 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 18:52 TC wrote:

> there is a function that calculate string lenght?
'Length

> how use that?

Foo : constant String := "bar";
Len : Integer := Foo'Length; -- Len=3

 -Frode

--
^ Frode Tenneb� | email: frode@tennebo.com | Frode@IRC ^
|  with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer;  |

* Re: String
@ 2005-08-31 18:00   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2005-08-31 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frode Tennebø

Frode Tenneb� a �crit :
> On Wednesday 31 August 2005 18:52 TC wrote:
>

>>there is a function that calculate string lenght?
>
> 'Length

Just to point out that it is called an attribute in Ada.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: String
@ 2005-08-31 18:11   ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2005-08-31 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frode Tenneb� wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 August 2005 18:52 TC wrote:
>
>>there is a function that calculate string lenght?
>
> 'Length
>
>>how use that?
>
> Foo : constant String := "bar";
> Len : Integer := Foo'Length; -- Len=3

This is of course correct so long as one is using fully filled-out
string values.

(Frode, I know you know all of the following, I'm just adding to it for
the benefit of TC :-)

Ada does not implicitly support the C approach of treating strings as an
array of characters terminating with a null (0).  So you can't use Ada's
strings the same way you would C's strings.

If you are going to need variable length strings, the
Ada.Strings.Unbounded package will probably meet your needs.

If you really need C-style strings, such as when interfacing to a C
library, you can use the Interfaces.C.Strings package.  It has a Strlen
function that can be applied to its definition of C strings.

(Both of these packages are part of the standard Ada distribution.)

Or you can write your own package to manage strings the way that you
want.  But given the ready availability of the above string packages,
there's really little to be gained by doing so, unless you have some
special needs that you have to live with, e.g., hard real-time.

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies
-- www.mckae.com
-- DTraq - XPath In Ada - XML EZ Out

* Re: String
@ 2005-08-31 18:37 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-08-31 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

TC wrote:

> there is a function that calculate string lenght?
> how use that?

What kind of string?

Read: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Strings.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: String
@ 2005-08-31 19:16     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2005-08-31 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Additional observation. The 'Length attribute only tells you about the
allocated space - not any sort of logical end of the string. Trailing
spaces, nulls, line terminators or any of the other mechanisms that
might tell you where the string stops (but not where the storage stops)
do NOT figure in to the value of the 'Length attribute.

This is often less than useful. I recommend that the reader look into
Ada.Strings.Unbounded (or Ada.Strings.Fixed) for strings that have
dynamic lengths.

MDC

Pascal Obry wrote:

> Just to point out that it is called an attribute in Ada.
>
> Pascal.

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: No.Mcondic.Spam@Del.Mindspring.Com
(Remove the "No.", ".Spam" and "Del." for the real address.)

     "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has
      been found difficult; and left untried."

         --  G. K. Chesterton

* Re: String
@ 2005-09-02 13:52 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2005-09-02 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)