From: "Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" <ve3wwg@cogeco.ca>
Subject: Re: [Anouncement] AdaCL 1.6.0 released
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 01:13:06 -0400
Date: 2003-05-31T01:13:06-04:00	[thread overview]

Martin Krischik wrote:
> Version 1.6.0 now feature "in place" text filtering. That means that the in
> and out file can be the same. A backup is preserved. In OS/2 the extended
> attributes are preserved as well.
>
> Because of this, filtering with wildcards is now convinient without Rexx
> scripts.
>
> The Sync execution of external commands has been improved. However Async and
> InOut execution is still work to do.
>
> A file utilities package has been added.
>
> Trace has been improved as well.
>
> An introduction Page has been added to the online documentation
>
> Have fun
>
> Martin

Announcements like these are wonderful but they would be even more wonderful
if everyone making announcments would describe what it is! What is
this AdaCL? All I can tell from this announcement is that it has
"in place text filtering" and that some "file utilities package"
has been added. This could be just about anything, and so I still
don't know what it is or why I need it. 8-)

Please don't take this the wrong way.  Your contributions, as well as
everyone else's are greatly appreciated. Just please don't assume that the
reader is going to know what your product name represents.

This is just a pet peeve of mine from comp.linux.announce, so don't
take this post too seriously ;-)  I have cross posted this to that
newsgroup for that reason.

I see post after post announcing XYZZY 1.8 just "released", and the only
thing it mentions are the bugs fixed, and new features added. The rest
requires a mind reader or a thorough visit to the web site. Even at the
web site, many times I have been left wondering what the product is!

Expand on future notices, and keep up the good work.
--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg