* AdaGuide compile issues
@ 2003-05-05  5:08 Daniel Trembath
From: Daniel Trembath @ 2003-05-05  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Everyone,

I'm rather new to ADA as I've only been working in it for about 5 months on a Win32
platform. I've been using Gnat 3.13 and 3.15 with a v6 and v7 version of AdaGuide.

Unfortunately there are a few things about Guide that are really making me climb the
walls (such as the lack of smart-tabbing of code and that horrid standard font). The
source is available and I'm looking to make those two changes.

My problem is that I seem to be having an impossible time trying to get the AdaGuide
source to compile. I've tried v660 and v71 and in both cases I just can't seem to get
past a requirement for Gnatwin.ads.

I've installed gnatwin-3.15p.exe but to no avail. In fact, except for its 'with' in
the AdaGuide.adb I can find no mention of Gnatwin.ads anywhere. Even Google returns
no results when you search for it.

Has anyone out there managed to build AdaGuide by themselves?

Cheers

Daniel Trembath
Melbourne Australia

* Re: AdaGuide compile issues
@ 2003-05-05  8:08 ` chris.danx
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: chris.danx @ 2003-05-05  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Trembath wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm rather new to ADA as I've only been working in it for about 5 months on a Win32
> platform. I've been using Gnat 3.13 and 3.15 with a v6 and v7 version of AdaGuide.

In addtion to Sergeys' advice, have you installed the second set of gnat
files?  The windows stuff doesn't come with gnat, but is available as a
separate msi.  Might be worth a look.

* Re: AdaGuide compile issues
@ 2003-05-05  8:28 ` Sergey Koshcheyev
From: Sergey Koshcheyev @ 2003-05-05  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Trembath wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> My problem is that I seem to be having an impossible time trying to get the AdaGuide
> source to compile. I've tried v660 and v71 and in both cases I just can't seem to get
> past a requirement for Gnatwin.ads.
>
> I've installed gnatwin-3.15p.exe but to no avail. In fact, except for its 'with' in
> the AdaGuide.adb I can find no mention of Gnatwin.ads anywhere. Even Google returns
> no results when you search for it.

This gnatwin.ads doesn't come from gnatwin that comes with GNAT, but
from GNATCOM :-) (http://www.adapower.com/gnatcom/ and
http://www.adapower.com/gnatcom/gnatwin.zip). Actually, I don't
understand why it is used in the source, since the Win32Ada packages
(those that you get by installing gnatwin-3.15p.exe and that are used by
the remaining 99% of AdaGIDE source) could be used to the same effect.

> Has anyone out there managed to build AdaGuide by themselves?

Yes. Install GNATCOM, then either fiddle with some of its files (there
are instructions somewhere in a text file in the AdaGIDE directory), or
just remove gnatcom.ads and .adb (and possibly some other files) from
the AdaGIDE directory and run gnatmake adagide, and I think this should
be it.

Sergey.

* Re: AdaGuide compile issues
@ 2003-05-05  9:17 Gautier direct_replies_not_read
From: Gautier direct_replies_not_read @ 2003-05-05  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

>Unfortunately there are a few things about Guide that are really
>making me climb the walls (such as the lack of smart-tabbing of code
>and that horrid standard font).

And imagine, it used to be a lot worse!...

>The source is available and I'm looking to make those two changes.

It would be very nice!

>Has anyone out there managed to build AdaGuide by themselves?

After the installations mentioned by Sergey, you have to compile
the resource (.rc). IIRC doesn't work the windres, only with
rc + cvtres from Microsoft (that you find in e.g. ObjectAda...)
This resource compilation is automated in AdaGIDE 7.1 itself,
thank to Alfred's efforts.
Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: AdaGuide compile issues
@ 2003-05-05 11:47 ` michael board
From: michael board @ 2003-05-05 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Trembath" <danielt (at)@(at) lexicon (dot).(dot) net> wrote in message news:<3eb5f0ce$0$31517$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au>...
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm rather new to ADA as I've only been working in it for about 5 months on a Win32
> platform. I've been using Gnat 3.13 and 3.15 with a v6 and v7 version of AdaGuide.
>
> Unfortunately there are a few things about Guide that are really making me climb the
> walls (such as the lack of smart-tabbing of code and that horrid standard font). The
> source is available and I'm looking to make those two changes.
>
> My problem is that I seem to be having an impossible time trying to get the AdaGuide
> source to compile. I've tried v660 and v71 and in both cases I just can't seem to get
> past a requirement for Gnatwin.ads.
>
> I've installed gnatwin-3.15p.exe but to no avail. In fact, except for its 'with' in
> the AdaGuide.adb I can find no mention of Gnatwin.ads anywhere. Even Google returns
> no results when you search for it.
>
> Has anyone out there managed to build AdaGuide by themselves?
>
> Cheers
>
> Daniel Trembath
> Melbourne Australia

Try this

www.adapower.com/gnatcom/gnatwin.zip

* Re: AdaGuide compile issues
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-05-05 15:10 ` Daniel Trembath
From: Daniel Trembath @ 2003-05-05 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Everyone,

After a little stuffing around and the excellent advice from Sergey, Chris, Gautier
and Michael I've managed to get Ada 7.10b compiling inside itself :)

I'll keep you posted on my exploits with smart tabbing and font selection if you are
interested.

Cheers

Daniel Trembath
Melbourne Australia

* Re: AdaGuide compile issues
@ 2003-05-21 17:20   ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2003-05-21 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

It sounds like you might be having the problems that others have
experienced reaching the Air Force Academy web site from a foreign
address.  There is a European mirror at:
ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/mirror/ftp.usafa.af.mil/pub/dfcs/carlisle/adagide/

"Alfred Hilscher" <Spam@alfred-hilscher.de> wrote in message
> Did you succeed to download the latest source? I never get a reply from
> the ftp server (I'm still working on some Win32 extensions). I try it
> for the last three month.

* Re: AdaGuide compile issues
@ 2003-05-21 17:45 ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2003-05-21 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Did you succeed to download the latest source? I never get a reply from
the ftp server (I'm still working on some Win32 extensions). I try it
for the last three month.

To send me mail, please replace "Spam" by "Jedermann"

* Re: AdaGuide compile issues
@ 2003-05-21 20:25     ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2003-05-21 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, the Web-site is accessible, but neither the ftp-server nor the
mirror. Same problems occur with some other ftp-servers (not with
web-servers).

"David C. Hoos" schrieb:

> It sounds like you might be having the problems that others have
> experienced reaching the Air Force Academy web site from a foreign
> address.  There is a European mirror at:
> ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/mirror/ftp.usafa.af.mil/pub/dfcs/carlisle/adagide/
>
> "Alfred Hilscher" <Spam@alfred-hilscher.de> wrote in message
> > Did you succeed to download the latest source? I never get a reply from
> > the ftp server (I'm still working on some Win32 extensions). I try it
> > for the last three month.

* Re: AdaGuide compile issues
@ 2003-05-28 20:04       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2003-05-28 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alfred Hilscher <Spam@alfred-hilscher.de> wrote:
: Well, the Web-site is accessible, but neither the ftp-server nor the
: mirror. Same problems occur with some other ftp-servers (not with
: web-servers).

: "David C. Hoos" schrieb:
:>
:> It sounds like you might be having the problems that others have
:> experienced reaching the Air Force Academy web site from a foreign
:> address.  There is a European mirror at:
:> ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/mirror/ftp.usafa.af.mil/pub/dfcs/carlisle/adagide/

Try twice, or more, using lynx, or some command line ftp client.
Maybe starting at some upper level directory first. (Sometimes
perceived irrationality helps :-)

* Re: AdaGuide compile issues
@ 2003-05-29 13:16         ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2003-05-29 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, I found the problem (using an ip-sniffer).

The problem is, that my browser tries to do the download in passiv mode
(PASV-command). The remote ftp server accepts the PASV-command, but it
does not accept the data-connection (maybe because the firewall blocks
connection-requests to non standard ports).

I use a normal ftp-client now, so that I can decide whether to do the
transfer in active or passive mode. This works (only if not PASV).