From: Mark Johnson <mark_h_johnson@raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: gcc 3.2.3 and trancendental functions
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 13:09:33 -0500
Date: 2003-05-05T13:09:33-05:00	[thread overview]

jim hopper wrote:

> We have a problem.  we have a couple new linux boxes. one is red hat 8,
> the other in 9.0.  when i try to run our radar sim it hangs.   finally
> traced it down to a problem with sin/cos etc.  so i created a little
> program that just calls cosine with 45"  (tried both degrees version
> and radians.  the cos returns NAN. [attempts snipped]
>
> Does anyone have any insight into why transendentals fail on gcc 3.2.3
> compiler??

Hmm. I'm running with the new compiler and have not seen any problems
like that. I tried both:
  cos(45.0, 360.0);
and
  cos(pi*45.0/180.0);
with a test program and both yield
  7.07107E-01
as expected.

This is with GNAT 5.00a (an ACT supported GCC 3 version) and Red Hat 7.3
(w/ a custom 2.4.20 kernel). Unless your test program does something
significantly different, I don't understand the problem. Perhaps you can
post the test program?

It may be more dependent on the changes Red Hat put into the RH 9
release. I know glibc has a number of significant changes - perhaps
something there is a problem. You may also want to check Bugzilla at Red
Hat to see if other people are having problems w/ numeric functions.

Another thought - when you built on RH 8 and moved it to RH 9, was the
application built with the static libraries? If not, I suggest you try
that as well.

  --Mark