From: Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@crs4.it>
Subject: Re: Which GCC compiler for Linux-GNAT
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:59:56 +0200
Date: 2003-04-29T07:27:11+00:00	[thread overview]

Andrew wrote:
> Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote:
>>Bernard WEISSER wrote:

>>The Gnat-gcc 3.x series are not up to speed yet, so wait with upgrading
>>until they have finished porting them over to the Gcc 3.x backend.

Agreed.  But it might be useful to give it a try now and then.

> Unfortunately the upgrading is done for many of us, due to the
> featuritis that has infested the Linux distributors.

If you are allowed to install more than just you Linux distributors
official packages (and are working on a supported architecture), try to
install the binary version from ACT in "/opt/gnat-3.15p" (I think that's
what the LSB/FHS advices).  That's what I have done on my Red Hat 7.3
system and it seems to work fine.

> What also worries me is the potential damage done to GNAT's reputation.
> The major distributions advertise the fact that they have an Ada
> compiler, unfortunately for the current releases it is almost useless.
> A number of potential Ada newbies could be in for a disappointment.

I do what I can, to warn people about the GCC 3 based Ada compilers that
come with the Linux distributions at the moment.  I hope I can soon stop
doing that.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"Banning open source would have immediate, broad, and
  strongly negative impacts on the ability of many sensitive