From: "Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" <ve3wwg@cogeco.ca>
Subject: Re: GNAT for Linux/Alpha
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 16:54:24 -0500
Date: 2003-04-04T16:54:24-05:00	[thread overview]

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
> Warren W. Gay VE3WWG wrote:
>
>> I wasn't aware that Red Hat even supported Alpha. Is this true?
>> I must admit that I didn't look too hard, but I could only find
>> refs to i386 or higher.
>
> Neither does SuSE (except for SuSE 7.1 for a few months more), but the
> RPM packages seem to be there anyway.

Sorry to hear that, though I cannot say I am surprised. There just
doesn't seem to be a whole lot of demand there.

> I found them by searching for
> "gnat", "alpha" and "rpm" on Google and noticed that I could use the web
> site <http://rpmseek.com/> for more precise queries (didn't have any
> luck with rpmfind).

Yes, rpmseek.com was the one I used. I found that to be very useful
here. I'll bookmark it here, before I forget it again ;-)

>> I didn't have to do this (the current version of Debian must have the
>> correct version), but it sounds like you need to also upgrade your
>> binutils (of which the assembler is a part). However, in my case
>> I had nothing to loose (I could afford to mess up my Debian install). So
>> be aware that installing a new binutils package may break some other
>> things that you currently depend upon (I cannot assess that).  So I
>> suppose that the standard "backup disclaimer" applies ;-)
>
> Thanks.  I will try that.  And I will be careful.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Jacob (who hasn't dropped SuSE on his Alpha yet)

It seems that an Alpha owner needs a bit of "scrounger" in
them ;-)
--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg