From: "Robert I. Eachus" <rieachus@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: PL/I outflanks Fortran
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 04:11:23 GMT
Date: 2003-04-01T04:11:23+00:00	[thread overview]

> i'm not sure it matters whether i find it useful, after all you find only 4
> out of 15 to be useful.  i.e., that there is little common use for e.g base
> 9 did not prevent the language designers from providing for it, so why not
> the entire well defined range?

There is a subtle place where it matters, Ada.Text_IO.Integer_IO.Get
reads a number (without a point) according to the syntax of an integer
literal.  (Ada.Text_IO.Float_IO allows a point.)  This means that when
reading a string like 23#ABCEDFGHI... the read will stop immediately
after the F.  So as long as we are allowing A, B, C, D, E, and F for
hexadecimal constants, there is no reason to outlaw bases lower than 16,
but higher bases would have noticable effects even if a user never
expected to use based numbers.