From: Stephane Carrez <stcarrez@nerim.fr>
To: Rune Winther <rune.winther@hiof.no>
Subject: Re: Ada compiler for 68hc11?
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:22:29 +0100
Date: 2003-03-28T23:22:29+01:00	[thread overview]

Hi!

Rune Winther wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're using the MIT Handyboard (68hc11) in various student projects and I
> would like to be able to develop Ada programs for it. Any hints to where I
> might find an Ada compiler for the 68hc11 would be greatly appreciated.

The gcc 3.2.1 compiler can be used but you'll need to use

	pragma No_Run_Time;

because the GNAT runtime is not ported yet to 68HC11.  (I'm also pretty sure
it will not fit as is on an embedded system like the HC11). You can't raise
an exception unless you port the GNAT exception part.

I wrote an Ada example for 68HC11 some time ago.  It uses the 68HC11 bootstrap
mode which means it fits in the 256 bytes constraint (actually even less because
the stack must be within that 256 bytes region!).

You can have a look at the example:

http://gel.sourceforge.net/ada_example.php

It shows how you can access the HC11 IO ports in Ada as well as how you can
cope without the GNAT runtime.

Concerning gcc, you must configure it as follows:

./configure --target=m6811-elf --program-prefix=m6811-elf- --enable-languages=c,ada

And you need a gcc 3.2.1 native Ada compiler to build it (trying to build with
a GNAT ACT compiler could be problematic at this stage).

Beware that it is in alpha state and not checked very much.

	Stephane

--
         Home                           Office
E-mail: stcarrez@nerim.fr              Stephane.Carrez@solsoft.fr