From: Peter Amey <peter.amey@praxis-cs.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Ada and Design By Contract
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:09:15 +0000
Date: 2003-03-25T10:09:15+00:00	[thread overview]

[snip]

> In a later post, Peter Amey said:
>
> "[..]  In the above example, we
> would make IsFull a proof function (i.e. not part of the executable
> code) and make use of "inherit" to make it visible without having to
> increase the number of with clauses."
>
> Could you please describe the SPARK concept of "inherit"?
>
> Regards,
> Colin Paul Gloster

Inherit, in this context, is a package-level annotation which behaves
rather like "with" (actually rather like the transitive closure of the
with clauses) but in proof context.  In my example, package R would
inherit packages P and Q even though it only withs Q.  This would make
the proof function P.IsFull visible at the place needed to check the
contract.

Inheritance does of course have other connotations nowadays!

Peter