From: support@PublicPropertySoftware.com
Subject: Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:50:50 -0800
Date: 2003-03-10T16:50:50-08:00	[thread overview]

David Botton wrote:

> > 1. First, there seems to be some trouble between make and the copy
> > commands in the gwindows/bindings/makefile.  I'm using the 3.77
> > version of make that was recommended at one time as the one to
> > use with gnat, IIRC.  Is there a newer or better one that will
> > work better with this makefile?  To deal with this:
>
> The one that comes with the public GNAT distributions.

I just reinstalled gnat 3.15p, and yes, that's the make that I am using,
too.  This is what happens:

L:\Ada\gwindows>make ANSI=1 install
make -C bindings
make[1]: Entering directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/bindings'
make ansi
make[2]: Entering directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/bindings'
attrib -r gwindows.ads
attrib -r gwindows-gstrings.adb
attrib -r gwindows-gstrings-unbounded.ads
copy gwindows_ansi.ads gwindows.ads
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), copy gwindows_ansi.ads
gwindows.ads, ...)
 failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
make[2]: *** [ansi] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/bindings'
make[1]: *** [gwindows] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/bindings'
make: *** [all] Error 2

******The following shows which make I am using:

L:\Ada\gwindows>make -v
GNU Make version 3.77, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

> > a. I replaced 'copy' with 'cp' wherever "copy" appeared in any
> > mkefile and made  sure that the cp commands all had an explicit
> > destination.  Note that backslashes have to be doubled, ie  \\
> > instead of \ for use with cp, and you have to have cp installed.
> > It comes with some distributions of unix utilities for windows.
>
> You must be using cygwin. Change to the DOS prompt and you will have > less problems.

I am running from the NT CMD prompt, as shown above, but I do have
cygwin installed.  Is that causing the trouble?  I don't think
it should.  If I change my path to I:\Gnat\bin and nothing else, I
still have these problems.

> > 2. You've got to have the most recent version of GnatCom installed
> >    first before installing GWindows. An older version won't work.
>
> Stated on the Web Page

I know. I was just reiterating that for anyone else like me that
didn't realize that they had an older gnatcom.

> > 3. You've got to set the ADA_INCLUDE_PATH:
> >    I've set
> > ADA_INCLUDE_Path=L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Bindings;L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Tools;
> >
> >     This is where Gnatcom is installed on my machine.
>
> Again this is a product of your not using the DOS prompt.

But I am typing make ANSI=1 install at the NT cmd prompt.
I get this:

gwindows-gstrings.adb:44:06: file "gnatcom.ads" not found
gwindows-gstrings.adb:45:06: file "gnatcom.ads" not found
gwindows-gstrings.ads:39:06: file "gnatcom.ads" not found
gwindows-gstrings.ads:39:06: "Gwindows.Gstrings (body)" depends on
"Gwindows.Gstrings (spec)"
gwindows-gstrings.ads:39:06: "Gwindows.Gstrings (spec)" depends on
"Gnatcom (spec)"
gwindows-gstrings.ads:73:43: "GNATCOM" is undefined (more references
follow)
gnatmake: "gwindows-gstrings.adb" compilation error
make[1]: *** [gwindows] Error 4
make[1]: Leaving directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/bindings'
make: *** [all] Error 2

If I don't set Ada_Include_Path, how does the compiler find the
gnatcom specs?   Is there any assumed relationship of the gnatcom and
gwindows directories?  Does it matter that I've got gnat on my I: drive
and gwindows and gnatcom on my L: drive? I just installed gnatcom
today, so if the gnatcom make install was supposed to set anything, it
ought to be still set.  Tell me how the compiler finds it and I can
try to check my system to see what's up.

Here's a funny one that pops up at the end of the makefile:

gnatlink gbmanager.ali
make[2]: Leaving directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/tools/gbmanager'
make[1]: Leaving directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/tools'
copy tools\gnatreg\gnatreg.exe bindings\gnatreg.exe
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), copy toolsgnatreggnatreg.exe
bindingsgnatreg.exe, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
make: *** [register] Error 2

As the identical copy command works just fine from the cmd prompt,
this sure makes it look like the make program is not working like
it ought to.  Anyone have any ideas if there could be a bad dll
that is messing up make this way? Which one?  Could the gnat
installer be detecting cygwin on my machine and giving me some
variation of the tools?  I see a cyggnat.dll in my gnat\bin
directory.  I'm sure that the make that I'm running is the one
that gnat 3.15p installs.

As I said, this wasn't anything that I wasn't able to work my way
through, but it might be helpful to someone else somewhere along
the way.

Al