From: support@PublicPropertySoftware.com
Subject: Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:39:09 -0800
Date: 2003-03-10T10:39:09-08:00	[thread overview]

I hit a couple of problems trying to install this (make ANSI=1 install),
on WinNT, v4, sp6.  None of these are likely problems
with the distribution, but they are things that might also cause
trouble for typical brain-dead downloaders like me. so I'll
share my results.

1. First, there seems to be some trouble between make and the copy
commands in the gwindows/bindings/makefile.  I'm using the 3.77
version of make that was recommended at one time as the one to
use with gnat, IIRC.  Is there a newer or better one that will
work better with this makefile?  To deal with this:

a. I replaced 'copy' with 'cp' wherever "copy" appeared in any
mkefile and made  sure that the cp commands all had an explicit
destination.  Note that backslashes have to be doubled, ie  \\
instead of \ for use with cp, and you have to have cp installed.
It comes with some distributions of unix utilities for windows.

b. attrib also acted up in the makefile. IDK why.  It seems to
have fixed itself.  I think I changed some of the attrib commands
to  CMD /C "attrib ...   ".  Note that the entire attrib command
is enclosed in double quotes.  This at least kept the makefiles
from crashin. I hope it worked.

2. You've got to have the most recent version of GnatCom installed
   first before installing GWindows. An older version won't work.

3. You've got to set the ADA_INCLUDE_PATH:
   I've set
ADA_INCLUDE_Path=L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Bindings;L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Tools;

    This is where Gnatcom is installed on my machine.

4.  It also looks like the makefile calls some perl scripts, so you
    should need to have perl/bin on your path.

Al