* No Ada in OpenSource?
@ 2003-02-15 17:12 Yuri
From: Yuri @ 2003-02-15 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are there any OpenSource projects in Ada ?
I looked through ports repository in FreeBSD
and didnt' find any except Ada related like
adasockets or bindings to GTK.

If no why don't you guys who have tons of experience in Ada
do some OpenSource stuff to promote Ada ?

I am new to Ada but see how advantegeous it is to
development. And kinda missing why isn't it popular
among people. Maybe it needs positive examples like
I mentioned ?

It probably can cut efforts and tremendously increase stability
on "C++" projects like GnuCash or KDE or whatever else.

So maybe instead of talking about advantes it's better to build
some positive example ?

Yuri.

* Re: No Ada in OpenSource?
@ 2003-02-15 17:35 ` Christoph Schlegel
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Christoph Schlegel @ 2003-02-15 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Yuri" <yuri@tsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Are there any OpenSource projects in Ada ?
> I looked through ports repository in FreeBSD
> and didnt' find any except Ada related like
> adasockets or bindings to GTK.

A quick search at http://www.sourceforge.net shows that there are 50+
Ada-projects.

Christoph

* Re: No Ada in OpenSource?
@ 2003-02-15 19:10   ` sk
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: sk @ 2003-02-15 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

 > A quick search at http://www.sourceforge.net shows that there are 50+
 > Ada-projects.

Could you explain this ?

A search for "Ada" did indeed yield several pages of projects, of which
three related to the Ada programming language.

Perhaps my search is bad ?

-- Merge vertically for real address
--
------------------------------------
-- s n p @ t . o

* Re: No Ada in OpenSource?
@ 2003-02-15 19:28   ` Yuri
From: Yuri @ 2003-02-15 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Schlegel wrote:

> A quick search at http://www.sourceforge.net shows that there are 50+
> Ada-projects.

True -- SourceForge currently lists 60 projects where Ada is used. But
good
half of them are purely Ada-related like Ada libraries, bindings, DB
access
tools. Also few tiny students projects.

No standalone powerful packages (like Gimp, GnuCash, XNap, ...). Nothing

for the "public" (OpenSource public) to use and mind: this is written in
Ada.

Yuri.

* Re: No Ada in OpenSource?
@ 2003-02-15 19:30   ` Yuri
From: Yuri @ 2003-02-15 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-02-15 20:02     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-02-15 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://freshmeat.net/browse/163/?topic_id=163

--
Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent", Isaac Asimov

* Re: No Ada in OpenSource?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-15 20:05   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-02-15 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Schlegel wrote:
> "Yuri" <yuri@tsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Are there any OpenSource projects in Ada ?
>> I looked through ports repository in FreeBSD
>> and didnt' find any except Ada related like
>> adasockets or bindings to GTK.
>
> A quick search at http://www.sourceforge.net shows that there are 50+
> Ada-projects.

And here is the link:

http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=163

--
Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent", Isaac Asimov

* Re: No Ada in OpenSource?
@ 2003-02-15 23:22 ` sk
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: sk @ 2003-02-15 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

randhol+news@pvv.org :

 > http://freshmeat.net/browse/163/?topic_id=163

 > And here is the link:
 >
 > http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=163

Ahah, thanks.

Still cannot figure out how to get from the front page, thru
search, to the Ada projects tho.

@ 2003-02-16  0:19     ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2003-02-16  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yuri wrote:
>>A quick search at http://www.sourceforge.net shows that there are 50+
>>Ada-projects.
>

> True -- SourceForge currently lists 60 projects where Ada is used.
> But good half of them are purely Ada-related like Ada libraries,
> bindings, DB access tools. Also few tiny students projects.
>
> No standalone powerful packages (like Gimp, GnuCash, XNap, ...).
> Nothing for the "public" (OpenSource public) to use and mind:
> this is written in Ada.
>
> Yuri.

Astrology program: http://users.adelphia.net/~falis/

* Re: No Ada in OpenSource?
@ 2003-02-16  8:35   ` Christoph Schlegel
From: Christoph Schlegel @ 2003-02-16  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"sk" <sk@noname.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> randhol+news@pvv.org :
>
>  > http://freshmeat.net/browse/163/?topic_id=163
>
>  > And here is the link:
>  >
>  > http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=163
>
> Ahah, thanks.
>
> Still cannot figure out how to get from the front page, thru
> search, to the Ada projects tho.

Click "software map" - browse by "programming language" - Ada.

You are right - the search from the front page isn't that precise...

hope this helps,
Christoph

* Re: No Ada in OpenSource?
@ 2003-02-16 13:20 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2003-02-16 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yuri wrote:
> Are there any OpenSource projects in Ada ?
> I looked through ports repository in FreeBSD
> and didnt' find any except Ada related like
> adasockets or bindings to GTK.

For whatever reason, the majority of Ada open source projects reside in
places other than Source Forge, such as www.adapower.com.

Marc A. Criley
Quadrus Corporation
www.quadruscorp.com

* Re: No Ada in OpenSource?
@ 2003-02-16 18:38     ` sk
From: sk @ 2003-02-16 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

christophvalentin@hotmail.com :

 > Click "software map" - browse by "programming language" - Ada.

Thanks.

Once I followed the "software map" button and arrived at the
Ada projects page, it makes sense. However, yesterday I would
never have guessed at what "software map" implied.

@ 2003-02-17 17:31   ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2003-02-17 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc A. Criley wrote:
> Yuri wrote:
>> Are there any OpenSource projects in Ada ?
>> I looked through ports repository in FreeBSD
>> and didnt' find any except Ada related like
>> adasockets or bindings to GTK.
>
> For whatever reason, the majority of Ada open source projects reside in
> places other than Source Forge, such as www.adapower.com.
>
> Marc A. Criley
> Quadrus Corporation
> www.quadruscorp.com

Not everyone likes to do development "publicly". I for example,
keep my sources under my own CVS tree in the privacy of my
own home, and then make public releases at various points in
time. This way I can make all kinds of embarassing mistakes
and wild experiments, and nobody need know about it ;-)

This works for me, since I am working alone in a "hobby
mode" of sorts.  At some point in the future, I'll likely
gravitate to the Source Forge in order to provide better
support and allow collaboration. For now, I need the simplicity
of working quietly at home.

On the weekend I encountered a text mode application that
performs "LATIN-to-ENGLISH DICTIONARY" lookups, and was
encouraged to see that it was written in Ada. While this
is "free shareware" (with sources available), it is one
of many obscure examples of applications throughout the
wonderful www. See:

   http://users.erols.com/whitaker/words.htm

If you know where to look, you can find Open Sourced Ada
in all corners of the world-wild-web.

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

* Re: No Ada in OpenSource?
@ 2003-02-18 17:56     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2003-02-18 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 12:31:44 +0000, Warren W. Gay VE3WWG wrote:

> Marc A. Criley wrote:
>> Yuri wrote:

>> For whatever reason, the majority of Ada open source projects reside in
>> places other than Source Forge, such as www.adapower.com.

> Not everyone likes to do development "publicly". I for example,
> keep my sources under my own CVS tree in the privacy of my
> own home, and then make public releases at various points in
> time. This way I can make all kinds of embarassing mistakes
> and wild experiments, and nobody need know about it ;-)

You can make embarassing mistakes even when releasing software. And then
ist is quite good to see in the statistics that no one ever downloaded
version 1.1.0 ;-)

And when somebody downloads a version without tag from the cvs archives, it
is realy his problem isn't it?

> This works for me, since I am working alone in a "hobby
> mode" of sorts.  At some point in the future, I'll likely
> gravitate to the Source Forge in order to provide better
> support and allow collaboration. For now, I need the simplicity
> of working quietly at home.

I think Source Forge is quite cool and I never regret moving my hobby
project there.

With Regards

Martin

--
Martin Krischik
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: No Ada in OpenSource?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-19 14:42 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2003-02-19 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yuri <yuri@tsoft.com> wrote in message news:<3E4E7533.417E8AE1@tsoft.com>...
> Are there any OpenSource projects in Ada ?
> I looked through ports repository in FreeBSD
> and didnt' find any except Ada related like
> adasockets or bindings to GTK.

I have 3 on my website at
http://www.telepath.com/~dennison/Ted/TED.html . The most prominent
one is the SETI@Home Service, which is used by SETI@Home enthusiasts
all over the world.

None of them are FreeBSD related. Sorry. :-)

> If no why don't you guys who have tons of experience in Ada
> do some OpenSource stuff to promote Ada ?

I think you underplay the committment involved in running a project.
But in general, I agree this would be a good thing.

Why don't you start? :-)

* Re: No Ada in OpenSource?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-20  0:41 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 2003-02-20  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yuri <yuri@tsoft.com> wrote in message news:<3E4E7533.417E8AE1@tsoft.com>...
> Are there any OpenSource projects in Ada ?
> I looked through ports repository in FreeBSD
> and didnt' find any except Ada related like
> adasockets or bindings to GTK.

One open source project in Ada95 is the Charles container library,
which is modelled closely on the C++ STL.

You can get the latest version from my home page.

http://home.earthlink.net/~matthewjheaney/charles/index.html

I posted a new version on 18 Feb 2003, which contains changes to the
vector containers, and includes new string containers that can be used
as a replacement for Ada.Strings.*.

There are new also new html docs for the vectors.

* Re: No Ada in OpenSource?
@ 2003-02-27 16:06       ` Ken O. Burtch
From: Ken O. Burtch @ 2003-02-27 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

PegaSoft has several open source Ada projects.  Visit our site at
http://www.pegasoft.ca.

Preben Randhol wrote:

> sk wrote:
> > A search for "Ada" did indeed yield several pages of projects, of which
> > three related to the Ada programming language.
>
> http://freshmeat.net/browse/163/?topic_id=163
>
> --
> Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
> "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent", Isaac Asimov

--
Ken O. Burtch: http://www.pegasoft.ca               : Pegasoft
System Manager in a Box / Business Shell            : R.R.#1