From: Jeffrey Carter <jrcarter@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Ada to 'C' parameter passing problem
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:39:59 GMT
Date: 2003-02-21T17:39:59+00:00	[thread overview]

Stuart Palin wrote:
> Simon Wright wrote:
>
>>I recall Robert Dewar saying that he thought that restricting
>>functions to "in" (or access) parameters was a Bad Idea -- Ada is a
>>programming language, not a mathematical abstraction, and there is
>>nothing in Ada to stop a function modifying global state. (Praise be,
>>say I). But Robert got outvoted during the Ada 9X process.
>
> [RD does not usually make unconsidered statements, so I
> would be interested in reading his line of arguments.  Is it
> available somewhere convenient?]

I'm sure it is; have you tried a search on Google groups? I think I can
restate RD's basic argument: Functions already allow side effects, just
not explicit side effects on their parameters. Disallowing them is an
unnecessary impediment to developers and makes interfacing to other
languages more difficult than is necessary; allowing them would make
some side effects more visible.

--
Jeff Carter
"If you don't get the President of the United States on that