* RE: ANN: BUSH 0.9.2 released
@ 2003-02-20 11:10 Lionel.DRAGHI
From: Lionel.DRAGHI @ 2003-02-20 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

My French-English Harraps Dictionary gives a "to disapprove" meaning to
deprecate, and a "to lower the value" to depreciate.
The former seems to suggest more a forbidding than just an obsolescence.

Perhaps should you first apply a Depreciate pragma, and then after some
releases the other one :-)

Lionel Draghi

* Re: ANN: BUSH 0.9.2 released (OT)
@ 2003-02-20 19:38 ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2003-02-20 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lionel.DRAGHI@fr.thalesgroup.com wrote:
> My French-English Harraps Dictionary gives a "to disapprove" meaning to
> deprecate, and a "to lower the value" to depreciate.
> The former seems to suggest more a forbidding than just an obsolescence.
>
> Perhaps should you first apply a Depreciate pragma, and then after some
> releases the other one :-)
>
> Lionel Draghi

All of this reminds me of the internal conflict we had within our
software product office at one time, because people didn't like my
spelling of "cancelled". Then I changed it to "canceled", and I then
hear from an entirely different group!

There was no winning on this one.. :(

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

* Re: ANN: BUSH 0.9.2 released (OT)
@ 2003-02-22  6:21   ` Eric G. Miller
From: Eric G. Miller @ 2003-02-22  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3E552EA9.1030407@cogeco.ca>, Warren W. Gay VE3WWG wrote:
> Lionel.DRAGHI@fr.thalesgroup.com wrote:
>> My French-English Harraps Dictionary gives a "to disapprove" meaning to
>> deprecate, and a "to lower the value" to depreciate.
>> The former seems to suggest more a forbidding than just an obsolescence.
>>
>> Perhaps should you first apply a Depreciate pragma, and then after some
>> releases the other one :-)
>>
>> Lionel Draghi
>
> All of this reminds me of the internal conflict we had within our
> software product office at one time, because people didn't like my
> spelling of "cancelled". Then I changed it to "canceled", and I then
> hear from an entirely different group!

This is like modelling (or modeling).  I guess the doubling of the "l"
is considered somewhat archaic, but both are correct.  Similarly, both
"deprecate" and "depreciate" are "correct", but I brought it up because
"deprecate" appeared to be the preferred way to mark an API obsolete in
the software world as witnessed by RFCs and a number of other sources
(GCC has an __attribute__((deprecated)) for C function interfaces, for
instance).  In all these cases, it's more a matter of consistency than
correctness...

--
echo ">gra.fcw@2ztr< eryyvZ .T pveR" | rot13 | reverse