* Ada95 in business (database) software
@ 2003-02-09  5:58 Mark Wallace
From: Mark Wallace @ 2003-02-09  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is anyone using Ada95 for database-oriented business applications?  Does
either of the principal commercial compilers (Aonix, GNAT) have a decent
(i.e., better than ODBC) interface to Oracle?  My team is evaluating
Ada95 and Eiffel for a new development effort, and we are having a hard
time identifying any sort of track record for Ada95 in this category
(business/database) of application.  All the Ada95 "buzz" seems to be
related to device drivers and embedded controller software.

We're willing to swim upstream with regard to non-mainstream languages,
because we care deeply about software quality.  However, we have neither
the expertise nor the funding to (re)create low-level code such as
database interface modules.

TIA,

Mark

P.S.  If you want to reply directly, use my <first_name>.<last_name> to
the left of the at-sign.

* Re: Ada95 in business (database) software
@ 2003-02-09 11:17 ` Adrian Knoth
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2003-02-09 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Wallace <no.spam@verizon.net> wrote:

> Is anyone using Ada95 for database-oriented business applications?

Me, but not to that extend you might want to do.

Did you take a look at gnade.sf.net?

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Lieber 'ne Latte in der Hose als ein Brett vorm Kopf.

* Re: Ada95 in business (database) software
@ 2003-02-09 11:22 ` Preben Randhol
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-02-09 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can have a look at GNADE => http://gnade.sourceforge.net/

--
Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent", Isaac Asimov

* Re: Ada95 in business (database) software
@ 2003-02-09 11:40 ` Poul-Erik Andreasen
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Poul-Erik Andreasen @ 2003-02-09 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 05:58:31 GMT
Mark Wallace <no.spam@verizon.net> wrote:

> Is anyone using Ada95 for database-oriented business applications?  Does
> either of the principal commercial compilers (Aonix, GNAT) have a decent
> (i.e., better than ODBC) interface to Oracle?  My team is evaluating
> Ada95 and Eiffel for a new development effort, and we are having a hard
> time identifying any sort of track record for Ada95 in this category
> (business/database) of application.  All the Ada95 "buzz" seems to be
> related to device drivers and embedded controller software.
>
> We're willing to swim upstream with regard to non-mainstream languages,
> because we care deeply about software quality.  However, we have neither
> the expertise nor the funding to (re)create low-level code such as
> database interface modules.

I don't know if anyone are using this but you kan have a look:

http://www.redrocketconsortium.com/zbc/

--
Poul-Erik Andreasen

* Re: Ada95 in business (database) software
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-10  6:47 ` Dmitriy Anisimkov
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Dmitriy Anisimkov @ 2003-02-10  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mark Wallace" <no.spam@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Is anyone using Ada95 for database-oriented business applications?  Does
> either of the principal commercial compilers (Aonix, GNAT) have a decent
> (i.e., better than ODBC) interface to Oracle?

Mark,

You could take a look to the Ada 95 to the (Oracle Call Interface).
http://vagul.tripod.com/adaoci.html
It is also including to the GNADE.
http://gnade.sourceforge.net/

I'm intensively using it in the business application development.
I know some other russian developers using it too.
Frankly, there is no good documentation. But there is a good example showing
the main functionality,
and you can ask me directly.

* Re: Ada95 in business (database) software
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-10  8:32 ` Peter Amey
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Amey @ 2003-02-10  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Wallace wrote:

> Is anyone using Ada95 for database-oriented business applications?  Does
> either of the principal commercial compilers (Aonix, GNAT) have a decent
> (i.e., better than ODBC) interface to Oracle?  My team is evaluating
> Ada95 and Eiffel for a new development effort, and we are having a hard
> time identifying any sort of track record for Ada95 in this category
> (business/database) of application.  All the Ada95 "buzz" seems to be
> related to device drivers and embedded controller software.
>
> We're willing to swim upstream with regard to non-mainstream languages,
> because we care deeply about software quality.  However, we have neither
> the expertise nor the funding to (re)create low-level code such as
> database interface modules.

A significant chunk of a secure system we developed in SPARK and Ada 95
involved SQL links to a database.  See "Correctness by Construction -
Developing a Commercial Secure System" in IEEE Software Jan/Feb 2002
pp18-25.  (Also in PDF on www.sparkada.com under publications).  ISTR we
wrote the binding ourselves but that it wasn't hard.

Peter

* Re: Ada95 in business (database) software
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-10  9:37 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2003-02-10  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 05:58:31 GMT, Mark Wallace <no.spam@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Is anyone using Ada95 for database-oriented business applications?  Does
>either of the principal commercial compilers (Aonix, GNAT) have a decent
>(i.e., better than ODBC) interface to Oracle?  My team is evaluating
>Ada95 and Eiffel for a new development effort, and we are having a hard
>time identifying any sort of track record for Ada95 in this category
>(business/database) of application.  All the Ada95 "buzz" seems to be
>related to device drivers and embedded controller software.
>
>We're willing to swim upstream with regard to non-mainstream languages,
>because we care deeply about software quality.  However, we have neither
>the expertise nor the funding to (re)create low-level code such as
>database interface modules.

I am using GNADE (its ODBC binding) with GNAT. GNADE is fine [but ODBC
and its implementations is a real disaster]

AFAIK, GNADE supports Oracle through native interface .

---
Regards,
Dmitry Kazakov
www.dmitry-kazakov.de

* Re: Ada95 in business (database) software
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-10 17:09 ` Wojtek Narczynski
From: Wojtek Narczynski @ 2003-02-10 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Wallace <no.spam@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<3E45EE04.280EC800@verizon.net>...
> Is anyone using Ada95 for database-oriented business applications?  Does
> either of the principal commercial compilers (Aonix, GNAT) have a decent
> (i.e., better than ODBC) interface to Oracle?

Oracle 7 used to have an Ada precompiler PRO*Ada.

Now there is this SQL*Module beast.

Looks good, but I haven't tested it yet.

Regards,
Wojtek

* Re: Ada95 in business (database) software
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-11  0:16 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-02-11  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

I have used Oracle via ADO using GNATCOM working with huge (10s of millions
of rows) databases on call center apps very successfully. I've also created
a number of small apps using GWindows and its database components for
rapidly creating database front ends.

David Botton

@ 2003-02-11  8:26   ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2003-02-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wojtek Narczynski wrote:

> Oracle 7 used to have an Ada precompiler PRO*Ada.
>
> Now there is this SQL*Module beast.
Last year i tried to get some information concerning
SQL*Module, but our ORACLE-Distributor here in Munich
said: "This is Army Stuff and not available for _normal_
       customers!"
I have not enough time and nerves to refuse or confirm
this above Statement - you know that ORACLE is a big
company and you will phone all the day to get a bit of
information.
In our ORACLE-Distribution i found only the Documentation
for modada ( the precompiler ), but not the executable.

Frank

* Re: Ada95 in business (database) software
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-15 20:01 ` Mark Wallace
From: Mark Wallace @ 2003-02-15 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Wallace wrote:

> Is anyone using Ada95 for database-oriented business applications?  Does
> either of the principal commercial compilers (Aonix, GNAT) have a decent
> (i.e., better than ODBC) interface to Oracle?  My team is evaluating
> Ada95 and Eiffel for a new development effort, and we are having a hard
> time identifying any sort of track record for Ada95 in this category
> (business/database) of application.  All the Ada95 "buzz" seems to be
> related to device drivers and embedded controller software.
>
> We're willing to swim upstream with regard to non-mainstream languages,
> because we care deeply about software quality.  However, we have neither
> the expertise nor the funding to (re)create low-level code such as
> database interface modules.
>
> TIA,
>
> Mark
>
> P.S.  If you want to reply directly, use my <first_name>.<last_name> to
> the left of the at-sign.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Mark

* Re: Ada95 in business (database) software
@ 2003-02-15 20:02   ` Mark Wallace
From: Mark Wallace @ 2003-02-15 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Amey wrote:

> Mark Wallace wrote:
> >
> > Is anyone using Ada95 for database-oriented business applications?  Does
> > either of the principal commercial compilers (Aonix, GNAT) have a decent
> > (i.e., better than ODBC) interface to Oracle?  My team is evaluating
> > Ada95 and Eiffel for a new development effort, and we are having a hard
> > time identifying any sort of track record for Ada95 in this category
> > (business/database) of application.  All the Ada95 "buzz" seems to be
> > related to device drivers and embedded controller software.
> >
> > We're willing to swim upstream with regard to non-mainstream languages,
> > because we care deeply about software quality.  However, we have neither
> > the expertise nor the funding to (re)create low-level code such as
> > database interface modules.
> >

> A significant chunk of a secure system we developed in SPARK and Ada 95
> involved SQL links to a database.  See "Correctness by Construction -
> Developing a Commercial Secure System" in IEEE Software Jan/Feb 2002
> pp18-25.  (Also in PDF on www.sparkada.com under publications).  ISTR we
> wrote the binding ourselves but that it wasn't hard.
>
> Peter

I read this article (from your Web site), and, while I found it very
interesting, didn't see any mention of database or SQL.

Mark