* Ada Mail Server?
@ 2002-11-18 14:03 Larry Hazel
From: Larry Hazel @ 2002-11-18 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a mail server for Windows programmed in Ada?
Larry

* Re: Ada Mail Server?
@ 2002-11-18 15:41 ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2002-11-18 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes.  See http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html
> Larry

* Re: Ada Mail Server?
@ 2002-11-18 16:27 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-11-18 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Hazel <lhhazel@otelco.net> writes:

> Is there a mail server for Windows programmed in Ada?

Depending on what you are looking for! In my SMTP package I have a part for
the server. This is more a demo than a full server ;) all it does is read
incoming SMTP mail, parse them and create an Ada structure with this
information and call a callback routine for each message... This was to
implement some kind of mail-server (sending command in e-mail to activate such
or such command...)... Anyway all this is work in progress...
You can grab current sources from my homepage. Look for package SMTP.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: Ada Mail Server?
@ 2002-11-18 18:11   ` Larry Hazel
From: Larry Hazel @ 2002-11-18 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:
> Larry Hazel <lhhazel@otelco.net> writes:
>

>>Is there a mail server for Windows programmed in Ada?
>

> Depending on what you are looking for! In my SMTP package I have a part for
> the server. This is more a demo than a full server ;) all it does is read
> incoming SMTP mail, parse them and create an Ada structure with this
> information and call a callback routine for each message... This was to
> implement some kind of mail-server (sending command in e-mail to activate such
> or such command...)... Anyway all this is work in progress...
> You can grab current sources from my homepage. Look for package SMTP.
>
> Pascal.

I was hoping for a full service mail server that would handle sending and
receiving (from multiple ISPs) for all users/computers on a home network.  I
have downloaded your SMTP package and will take a look at it.  If everything is
in French, I probably won't understand though.

Larry

* Re: Ada Mail Server?
@ 2002-11-18 20:35     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-11-18 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Hazel <lhhazel@otelco.net> writes:

> I was hoping for a full service mail server that would handle sending and
> receiving (from multiple ISPs) for all users/computers on a home network.  I
> have downloaded your SMTP package and will take a look at it.  If everything
> is in French, I probably won't understand though.

No it is not. All my programs are using English (well, it looks like English
to me ;) for API and comments.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: Ada Mail Server?
@ 2002-11-18 21:31     ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2002-11-18 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Pascal Obry wrote:
> > Larry Hazel <lhhazel@otelco.net> writes:
> >

> >>Is there a mail server for Windows programmed in Ada?
> >

> > Depending on what you are looking for! In my SMTP package I have a part
for
> > the server. This is more a demo than a full server ;) all it does is
read
> > incoming SMTP mail, parse them and create an Ada structure with this
> > information and call a callback routine for each message... This was to
> > implement some kind of mail-server (sending command in e-mail to
activate such
> > or such command...)... Anyway all this is work in progress...
> > You can grab current sources from my homepage. Look for package SMTP.
> >
> > Pascal.
> >

> I was hoping for a full service mail server that would handle sending and
> receiving (from multiple ISPs) for all users/computers on a home network.
> have downloaded your SMTP package and will take a look at it.  If
everything is
> in French, I probably won't understand though.
Do you really mean a server, or are you talking about an E-mail _client_?

If you mean a _server_, are you planning to open port 25 to the world on
your
home network?

When you talk about multiple ISPs, that sounds like you want an E-mail
client,
because IPSs usually provide an SMTP server accepting connections on port
25,
and a POP3 server accepting connections on port 110.

I have used Pascal's SMTP package, but what it does (in its default
configuration)
is listen on port 25 for incoming messages which have been addressed to the
host on which the package is running -- i.e., the messages were _not_
addressed
to some user@ some ISP.

I used Pascal's package integrated into a program handling tactical text
messages
using SMTP as the transport.  This way, my application reacted immediately
to an
incoming message, rather than depending on some program like sendmail
signalling
my application.

So, all that said... it doesn't sound like what you want.

> Larry

* Re: Ada Mail Server?
@ 2002-11-18 22:02       ` Larry Hazel
From: Larry Hazel @ 2002-11-18 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

David C. Hoos wrote:
> "Larry Hazel" <lhhazel@otelco.net> wrote in message
>
>>Pascal Obry wrote:

>>>Depending on what you are looking for! In my SMTP package I have a part
>>
> for
>
>>>the server. This is more a demo than a full server ;) all it does is
>>
> read
>
>>>incoming SMTP mail, parse them and create an Ada structure with this
>>>information and call a callback routine for each message... This was to
>>>implement some kind of mail-server (sending command in e-mail to
>>
> activate such
>
>>>or such command...)... Anyway all this is work in progress...
>>>You can grab current sources from my homepage. Look for package SMTP.
>>>
>>>Pascal.
>>>

>>I was hoping for a full service mail server that would handle sending and
>>receiving (from multiple ISPs) for all users/computers on a home network.

>>have downloaded your SMTP package and will take a look at it.  If
>
> everything is
>
>>in French, I probably won't understand though.
>
> Do you really mean a server, or are you talking about an E-mail _client_?
>
> If you mean a _server_, are you planning to open port 25 to the world on
> your
> home network?
>
> When you talk about multiple ISPs, that sounds like you want an E-mail
> client,
> because IPSs usually provide an SMTP server accepting connections on port
> 25,
> and a POP3 server accepting connections on port 110.
>
> I have used Pascal's SMTP package, but what it does (in its default
> configuration)
> is listen on port 25 for incoming messages which have been addressed to the
> host on which the package is running -- i.e., the messages were _not_
> addressed
> to some user@ some ISP.
>
> I used Pascal's package integrated into a program handling tactical text
> messages
> using SMTP as the transport.  This way, my application reacted immediately
> to an
> incoming message, rather than depending on some program like sendmail
> signalling
> my application.
>
> So, all that said... it doesn't sound like what you want.
>

>>Larry

I was looking for something with capabilities similar to Workgroupmail
http://www.workgroupmail.com
Larry

* Re: Ada Mail Server?
@ 2002-11-20 20:16         ` achrist
From: achrist @ 2002-11-20 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On a related subject,  is there a mail client (eg POP3) for Windows
programmed in Ada?

Al Christians

* Re: Ada Mail Server?
@ 2002-11-22 17:09           ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2002-11-22 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

achrist@easystreet.com schrieb:

> On a related subject,  is there a mail client (eg POP3) for Windows
> programmed in Ada?

Not a client, but a set of POP3-routines:
http://alfred.hilscher.bei.t-online.de/sophi.zip