* Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-21 22:04 Joe Simon
From: Joe Simon @ 2002-10-21 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have been working for many years on implementing distributed systems
for various uses.
Every one of them has had specialized data communications schemes worked
out for them.
I was just reading a paper on distributed systems utilizing Ada 95 and
Annex E, it said that the Ada distributed processing model made creating
distributed systems in Ada "Painless".

I have Ada 95 and would like to evaluate for myself how "painless" it
is. When i get on the net
to search for information, I find references to software, such as
"Glade" from A.C.T, or "Adept" from Texas A & M. However, I can't seem
to find any literature that provides an "Ada distributed Systems for the
cluless". Is all I need to put together a small distributed system test
(the equivalent to "Hello World", but displayed on another node) is
GNAT, or do I need one of these other packages ?

thanks for your help
Joe Simon

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-22  4:47 ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 2002-10-22  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Simon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been working for many years on implementing distributed systems
> for various uses.
> Every one of them has had specialized data communications schemes worked
> out for them.
> I was just reading a paper on distributed systems utilizing Ada 95 and
> Annex E, it said that the Ada distributed processing model made creating
> distributed systems in Ada "Painless".
>
> I have Ada 95 and would like to evaluate for myself how "painless" it
> is. When i get on the net
> to search for information, I find references to software, such as
> "Glade" from A.C.T, or "Adept" from Texas A & M. However, I can't seem
> to find any literature that provides an "Ada distributed Systems for the
> cluless". Is all I need to put together a small distributed system test
> (the equivalent to "Hello World", but displayed on another node) is
> GNAT, or do I need one of these other packages ?

you need to install gnat and glade. Do you normal development in
gnat, then a final (few?) compiles with glade, which distributes
everything according to the distribution file.

It really is painless. I had an assignment for first year students
which used it for a distributed chat/multiroom system. Couldn't
have been simpler.

Dale

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-22  7:54 ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 2002-10-22  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe> However, I can't seem to find any literature that provides an
Joe> "Ada distributed Systems for the cluless". Is all I need to put
Joe> together a small distributed system test (the equivalent to
Joe> "Hello World", but displayed on another node) is GNAT, or do I
Joe> need one of these other packages ?

Get GNAT and GLADE from ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/ and read GLADE
manual, which contains a tutorial.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-22  8:00   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-10-22  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel Tardieu wrote:

>Joe> However, I can't seem to find any literature that provides an
>Joe> "Ada distributed Systems for the cluless". Is all I need to put
>Joe> together a small distributed system test (the equivalent to
>Joe> "Hello World", but displayed on another node) is GNAT, or do I
>Joe> need one of these other packages ?
>
> Get GNAT and GLADE from ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/ and read GLADE
> manual, which contains a tutorial.

And read the Programming Distributed Systems introduction you find at
this location: http://libre.act-europe.fr/Software_Matters/main.html
Skip all that is known and later it talks about Glade if I remember
correctly.

--
Preben Randhol  --------------------  http://www.pvv.org/~randhol
�.., chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-22 13:36   ` Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 2002-10-22 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel Tardieu <sam@rfc1149.net> writes:

> Joe> However, I can't seem to find any literature that provides an
> Joe> "Ada distributed Systems for the cluless". Is all I need to put
> Joe> together a small distributed system test (the equivalent to
> Joe> "Hello World", but displayed on another node) is GNAT, or do I
> Joe> need one of these other packages ?
>
> Get GNAT and GLADE from ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/ and read GLADE
> manual, which contains a tutorial.
>
>   Sam
> --
> Samuel Tardieu -- sam@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam

While we are talking about GLADE, has anyone successfully built it on a Windows NT with GNAT 3-14p? I have Cygwin installed which may have something to do with the following error I get while trying to make the example programs:

$ make
Making all in absolute
make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/glade-3.14p-src/examples/Eratho/absolut
e'
/usr/local/bin/gnatdist -I. absolute.cfg
gnatdist: *** unknown error

raised PROGRAM_ERROR : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
make[1]: *** [mainloop] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/glade-3.14p-src/examples/Eratho/absolute
'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-22 14:34     ` Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 2002-10-22 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen <oleh@vlinux.voxelvision.no> writes:

> > Joe> However, I can't seem to find any literature that provides an
> > Joe> "Ada distributed Systems for the cluless". Is all I need to put
> > Joe> together a small distributed system test (the equivalent to
> > Joe> "Hello World", but displayed on another node) is GNAT, or do I
> > Joe> need one of these other packages ?
> >
> > Get GNAT and GLADE from ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/ and read GLADE
> > manual, which contains a tutorial.
> >
> >   Sam
> > --
> > Samuel Tardieu -- sam@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam
>
> While we are talking about GLADE, has anyone successfully built it on a Windows NT with GNAT 3-14p? I have Cygwin installed which may have something to do with the following error I get while trying to make the example programs:
>
> $ make
> Making all in absolute
> make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/glade-3.14p-src/examples/Eratho/absolut
> e'
> /usr/local/bin/gnatdist -I. absolute.cfg
> gnatdist: *** unknown error
>
> raised PROGRAM_ERROR : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
> make[1]: *** [mainloop] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/glade-3.14p-src/examples/Eratho/absolute
> '
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Got a step further by running gnatdist in the debugger and setting the
GLADE_LIBRARY_DIR variable. Now gnatdist runs fine, but the make job
chokes on gcc:

gnatdist: building controller caller stubs from .\controller.ads
distribution feature not supported
compilation abandoned
gnatdist: c:\gnat\bin\gcc.exe failed
gnatdist: *** can't continue
make[1]: *** [mainloop] Error 4

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-22 15:58       ` Joe Simon
From: Joe Simon @ 2002-10-22 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

WOW !

Thanks for all of the help and sugesstions.

Joe Simon
Looking forward to painless distributed systems

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-22 21:46     ` Wilhelm Spickermann
From: Wilhelm Spickermann @ 2002-10-22 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen <oleh@vlinux.voxelvision.no> wrote in message news:<7vlm4qoars.fsf@vlinux.voxelvision.no>...
> While we are talking about GLADE, has anyone successfully built it on a Windows NT with GNAT 3-14p? I have Cygwin installed which may have something to do with the following error I get while trying to make the example programs:

Yes, but without cygwin. The Bank example worked with the other
machine being a debian linux. Both machines were virtual, but that
shouln't make a difference. Just mail me, if You want my recipe.

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-23  9:40       ` Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 2002-10-23  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

wilhelm.spickermann@t-online.de (Wilhelm Spickermann) writes:

> Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen <oleh@vlinux.voxelvision.no> wrote in message news:<7vlm4qoars.fsf@vlinux.voxelvision.no>...
> > While we are talking about GLADE, has anyone successfully built it on a Windows NT with GNAT 3-14p? I have Cygwin installed which may have something to do with the following error I get while trying to make the example programs:
>
> Yes, but without cygwin. The Bank example worked with the other
> machine being a debian linux. Both machines were virtual, but that
> shouln't make a difference. Just mail me, if You want my recipe.

Yes, I would be very interested. I got gnatdist to work, but the
compilation of the examples bomb out with the message that the
distribution feature is not supported.

Ole-Hj. Kristensen

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-24  5:45         ` Wilhelm Spickermann
From: Wilhelm Spickermann @ 2002-10-24  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen <oleh@vlinux.voxelvision.no> wrote in message news:<7vadl5o5m2.fsf@vlinux.voxelvision.no>...
> wilhelm.spickermann@t-online.de (Wilhelm Spickermann) writes:
>
> > Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen <oleh@vlinux.voxelvision.no> wrote in message news:<7vlm4qoars.fsf@vlinux.voxelvision.no>...
> > > While we are talking about GLADE, has anyone successfully built it on a Windows NT with GNAT 3-14p? I have Cygwin installed which may have something to do with the following error I get while trying to make the example programs:
> >
> > Yes, but without cygwin. The Bank example worked with the other
> > machine being a debian linux. Both machines were virtual, but that
> > shouln't make a difference. Just mail me, if You want my recipe.
>
> Yes, I would be very interested. I got gnatdist to work, but the
> compilation of the examples bomb out with the message that the
> distribution feature is not supported.

Ok, here are my old notes (Windows menu points translated back to
english,
which will surely result in some wrong texts...).

Starting point was NT4 (SP6), Gnat 3.14p, AdaGide and GtkAda-1.3.6.

No installation of cygwin.

Installation of Cygwin-Tools(no libs, just some unix-typical exes).
AFAIK no longer distributed as a package. Used
http://www.caslsoft.com/gcc_tools/cygwin-b20.1-usertools.exe
and installed it.

Created C:\tmp und C:\bin

Copied c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\bash.exe to c:\bin

Renamed c:\bin\bash.exe to sh.exe

Put link to sh.exe on the desktop with layout-height set to 1000.

Menu: Start->Config->Systemcontrol->System->Environment:
Append to PATH (semicolon separated):
  C:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentiu~1\2.8.1
  C:\cygnus\cygwin~1\H-i586~1\bin
(The long names don't do it! Find short ones with dir/x)

copy glade-3.14p-src.tar.gz to C:\

Start desktop link to sh and there:
  cd /
  tar xzf glade-3.14p-src.tar.gz
  cd glade-3.14p-src
  edit Dist/xe_reg.adb
    near line 176 in the comment and the code:
    replace "Free Software Foundation" with
    "Ada Core Technologies"
  edit Garlic/Makefile.in
    replace sed 's/\013//g' by tr -d '\015'
    (Yes, also replace 13 by 15)
  edit Dist/config.sdefault
    replace sed 's/\015//'  by tr -d '\015'
  ./configure --prefix=/GNAT
     The prefix value has to be the Registry-Entry
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Ada CoreTechnologies/GCC
     in Unix-Notation. It is case significant!
  make install

I wonder how those sed-commands came into the script -- AFAIK sed
never understood the octal backslash notation -- and in one of the
places octal and decimal were mixed up.

Have fun
  Wilhelm

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-24  9:45           ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-10-24  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On my system the registry key is
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Ada Core Technologies/GCC
not
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Ada CoreTechnologies/GCC
Do you agree?

FWIW on my system (XP Professional) GNU sed version 3.02
works just fine, but clearly the 013 is wrong, unless you're
trying to delete Vertical Tabs (not very likely).

Also, FWIW I use the tcsh shell, as I like it much better
than bash, and I have the following path set which gives
preference to GNAT:

. G:/gnat/bin G:/cygwin/bin

3-14p? I have Cygwin installed which may have something to do with the following error I get while
trying to make the example programs:

> > > Yes, but without cygwin. The Bank example worked with the other
> > > machine being a debian linux. Both machines were virtual, but that
> > > shouln't make a difference. Just mail me, if You want my recipe.
> >
> > Yes, I would be very interested. I got gnatdist to work, but the
> > compilation of the examples bomb out with the message that the
> > distribution feature is not supported.
>
> Ok, here are my old notes (Windows menu points translated back to
> english,
> which will surely result in some wrong texts...).
>
> Starting point was NT4 (SP6), Gnat 3.14p, AdaGide and GtkAda-1.3.6.
>
> No installation of cygwin.
>
> Installation of Cygwin-Tools(no libs, just some unix-typical exes).
> AFAIK no longer distributed as a package. Used
> http://www.caslsoft.com/gcc_tools/cygwin-b20.1-usertools.exe
> and installed it.
>
> Created C:\tmp und C:\bin
>
> Copied c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\bash.exe to c:\bin
>
> Renamed c:\bin\bash.exe to sh.exe
>
> Put link to sh.exe on the desktop with layout-height set to 1000.
>
> Menu: Start->Config->Systemcontrol->System->Environment:
> Append to PATH (semicolon separated):
>   C:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentiu~1\2.8.1
>   C:\cygnus\cygwin~1\H-i586~1\bin
> (The long names don't do it! Find short ones with dir/x)
>
> copy glade-3.14p-src.tar.gz to C:\
>
> Start desktop link to sh and there:
>   cd /
>   tar xzf glade-3.14p-src.tar.gz
>   cd glade-3.14p-src
>   edit Dist/xe_reg.adb
>     near line 176 in the comment and the code:
>     replace "Free Software Foundation" with
>     "Ada Core Technologies"
>   edit Garlic/Makefile.in
>     replace sed 's/\013//g' by tr -d '\015'
>     (Yes, also replace 13 by 15)
>   edit Dist/config.sdefault
>     replace sed 's/\015//'  by tr -d '\015'
>   ./configure --prefix=/GNAT
>      The prefix value has to be the Registry-Entry
>      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Ada CoreTechnologies/GCC
>      in Unix-Notation. It is case significant!
>   make install
>
> I wonder how those sed-commands came into the script -- AFAIK sed
> never understood the octal backslash notation -- and in one of the
> places octal and decimal were mixed up.
>
> Have fun
>   Wilhelm

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-24 11:36             ` Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 2002-10-24 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> writes:

> On my system the registry key is
>       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Ada Core Technologies/GCC
> not
>       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Ada CoreTechnologies/GCC
> Do you agree?
>
> FWIW on my system (XP Professional) GNU sed version 3.02
> works just fine, but clearly the 013 is wrong, unless you're
> trying to delete Vertical Tabs (not very likely).
>
> Also, FWIW I use the tcsh shell, as I like it much better
> than bash, and I have the following path set which gives
> preference to GNAT:
>
> . G:/gnat/bin G:/cygwin/bin

<snip>

Ever seen this error message before? Seems gnatbind thinks the library
is not up to date. This is a freshly installed GNAT 3.14p. I assumed
it would be just a matter of resetting the date for the files, but
it does not seem to work. Anyone got a trick to fix this problem?
Rebuilding the GNAT library would probably fix it, but that seems to
open up another can of worms.

gnatdist:
checking configuration consistency ------------------------------ ----
Configuration report ---- ------------------------------ Configuration
: Name : absolute Main : mainloop Starter : Ada code

Partition partition1
   Main        : mainloop
   Directory   : bin
   Units       :
             - prime (rt)
             - controller (rci)
             - results (rci)
             - mainloop (normal)

Partition partition2
   Directory   : bin
   Units       :
             - prime (rt)

Partition partition3
   Directory   : bin
   Units       :
             - prime (rt)

 -------------------------------
gnatdist:    controller caller stubs is up to date
gnatdist:    controller receiver stubs is up to date
gnatdist:    results caller stubs is up to date
gnatdist:    results receiver stubs is up to date
gnatdist: building partition partition1
error: "s-finimp.adb" must be recompiled ("s-stratt.adb" has been modified)
gnatdist: c:\gnat\bin\gnatbind.exe failed
gnatdist: *** can't continue
make[1]: *** [mainloop] Error 4
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-24 12:14               ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-10-24 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

The error line
error: "s-finimp.adb" must be recompiled ("s-stratt.adb" has been modified)
gives the clue.

The file s-stratt.adb has indeed been modified from what it is in
standard GNAT to what it needs to be for distributed programs on (possibly)
heterogeneous platforms.  This file defines the Stream Attributes
('Read and 'Write) for the simple types.  In standard GNAT these attributes
format data on streams in a very simple way, but differently for little-endian
platforms than for big-endian.

For Annex E, the Stream Attributes format streams according to the XDR
specification, to providing platform independence.

Therefore, you do need to recompile s-stratt.adb.  Doing this requires special
compiler switches which are documented in the Gnat User's Guide in the
section entitled Rebuilding the GNAT Run-Time Library.

> >       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Ada Core Technologies/GCC
> > not
> >       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Ada CoreTechnologies/GCC
> > Do you agree?
> >
> > FWIW on my system (XP Professional) GNU sed version 3.02
> > works just fine, but clearly the 013 is wrong, unless you're
> > trying to delete Vertical Tabs (not very likely).
> >
> > Also, FWIW I use the tcsh shell, as I like it much better
> > than bash, and I have the following path set which gives
> > preference to GNAT:
> >
> > . G:/gnat/bin G:/cygwin/bin
> >

> <snip>
>
> Ever seen this error message before? Seems gnatbind thinks the library
> is not up to date. This is a freshly installed GNAT 3.14p. I assumed
> it would be just a matter of resetting the date for the files, but
> it does not seem to work. Anyone got a trick to fix this problem?
> Rebuilding the GNAT library would probably fix it, but that seems to
> open up another can of worms.
>
> gnatdist:
> checking configuration consistency ------------------------------ ----
> Configuration report ---- ------------------------------ Configuration
> : Name : absolute Main : mainloop Starter : Ada code
>
> Partition partition1
>    Main        : mainloop
>    Directory   : bin
>    Units       :
>              - prime (rt)
>              - controller (rci)
>              - results (rci)
>              - mainloop (normal)
>
> Partition partition2
>    Directory   : bin
>    Units       :
>              - prime (rt)
>
> Partition partition3
>    Directory   : bin
>    Units       :
>              - prime (rt)
>
>  -------------------------------
> gnatdist:    controller caller stubs is up to date
> gnatdist:    controller receiver stubs is up to date
> gnatdist:    results caller stubs is up to date
> gnatdist:    results receiver stubs is up to date
> gnatdist: building partition partition1
> error: "s-finimp.adb" must be recompiled ("s-stratt.adb" has been modified)
> gnatdist: c:\gnat\bin\gnatbind.exe failed
> gnatdist: *** can't continue
> make[1]: *** [mainloop] Error 4
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-24 15:27             ` Wilhelm Spickermann
From: Wilhelm Spickermann @ 2002-10-24 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1035452822.3625.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>...
> On my system the registry key is
>       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Ada Core Technologies/GCC
> not
>       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Ada CoreTechnologies/GCC
> Do you agree?

Yes, it was a typo.

> FWIW on my system (XP Professional) GNU sed version 3.02
> works just fine, but clearly the 013 is wrong, unless you're
> trying to delete Vertical Tabs (not very likely).

Well, my 3.02 works fine too :-) . But AFAIK the backslash is used in sed to
escape single characters and not for octal notation. So I think
sed 's/\015//g' is the same as
sed 's/015//g' and it does not remove any carriage returns but only strings
"015".

Wilhelm

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-24 19:20               ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2002-10-24 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Ada Core Technologies/GCC
> > not
> >       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Ada CoreTechnologies/GCC
> > Do you agree?
>
> Yes, it was a typo.
>

> > FWIW on my system (XP Professional) GNU sed version 3.02
> > works just fine, but clearly the 013 is wrong, unless you're
> > trying to delete Vertical Tabs (not very likely).
>
> Well, my 3.02 works fine too :-) . But AFAIK the backslash is used in sed
> escape single characters and not for octal notation. So I think
> sed 's/\015//g' is the same as
> sed 's/015//g' and it does not remove any carriage returns but only
strings
> "015".

At the shell prompt I issued sed s/015//g not sed 's/015//g'  -- perhaps
that is the
difference

> Wilhelm

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-25  5:02                 ` Wilhelm Spickermann
From: Wilhelm Spickermann @ 2002-10-25  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos" <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1035487262.1881.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>...
> > > FWIW on my system (XP Professional) GNU sed version 3.02
> > > works just fine, but clearly the 013 is wrong, unless you're
> > > trying to delete Vertical Tabs (not very likely).
> >
> > Well, my 3.02 works fine too :-) . But AFAIK the backslash is used in sed
> > escape single characters and not for octal notation. So I think
> > sed 's/\015//g' is the same as
> > sed 's/015//g' and it does not remove any carriage returns but only
>  strings
> > "015".
> >
> At the shell prompt I issued sed s/015//g not sed 's/015//g'  -- perhaps
> that is the
> difference

Hmm, I don't see any backslashes in your text... But even if I use
sed s/\015//g it only results in deleting the string "015" while
leaving the carriage returns untouched (bash and csh under Linux).

But the original problem was about the result of the lines in
Garlic/Makefile.in and Dist/config.sdefault. They contained the
apostrophes. I still presume they never removed any control characters.

Wilhelm

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-25 11:07                   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-10-25 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

This has proven enlightening -- GNU sed 3.02 behaves differently
on Linux than on XP -- with the same shell.

On XP I'm using cygwin.  I'll have to get and try mingw, and try
the latest GNU sed (if it's not 3.02), and send a bug report to
the appropriate folks.

> > > Well, my 3.02 works fine too :-) . But AFAIK the backslash is used in sed
> > > escape single characters and not for octal notation. So I think
> > > sed 's/\015//g' is the same as
> > > sed 's/015//g' and it does not remove any carriage returns but only
> >  strings
> > > "015".
> > >
> > At the shell prompt I issued sed s/015//g not sed 's/015//g'  -- perhaps
> > that is the
> > difference
> >
> Hmm, I don't see any backslashes in your text... But even if I use
> sed s/\015//g it only results in deleting the string "015" while
> leaving the carriage returns untouched (bash and csh under Linux).
>
> But the original problem was about the result of the lines in
> Garlic/Makefile.in and Dist/config.sdefault. They contained the
> apostrophes. I still presume they never removed any control characters.
>
> Wilhelm

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-10-25 14:05                     ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2002-10-25 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This has proven enlightening -- GNU sed 3.02 behaves differently
> on Linux than on XP -- with the same shell.

GNU should be GNU anywhere, eh?  There's a big difference
between GNU vs. GNU and Unix vs. Microsoft, but here's
a good story anyway:

from http://slashdot.org/articles/01/02/06/2030205.shtml

Question 5) True Story?

Was the story about you embarrassing a Microsoftie at a conference true?
Specifically, that he was insisting that their implementation of ksh in
their unix compatibility kit was true to the "real" thing and trying to
argue the point with you.  The argument ended when someone else finally
stood up and informed the speaker who he was arguing with.

Just curious ...

Korn: This story is true.  It was at a USENIX Windows NT conference and
Microsoft was presenting their future directions for NT.  One of their
speakers said that they would release a UNIX integration package for NT
that would contain the Korn Shell.

I knew that Microsoft had licensed a number of tools from MKS so I came to
the microphone to tell the speaker that this was not the "real" Korn Shell
and that MKS was not even compatible with ksh88.  I had no intention of
embarrassing him and thought that he would explain the compromises that
Microsoft had to make in choosing MKS Korn Shell.  Instead, he insisted
that I was wrong and that Microsoft had indeed chosen a "real" Korn Shell.
After a couple of exchanges, I shut up and let him dig himself in deeper.
Finally someone in the audience stood up and told him what almost everyone
in the audience knew, that I had written the 'real' Korn Shell.  I think
that this is symbolic about the way the company works.

* Re: Distributed Ada (Annex E)
@ 2002-11-03  1:37 ` David Marceau
From: David Marceau @ 2002-11-03  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Simon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been working for many years on implementing distributed systems
> for various uses.
> Every one of them has had specialized data communications schemes worked
> out for them.
> I was just reading a paper on distributed systems utilizing Ada 95 and
> Annex E, it said that the Ada distributed processing model made creating
> distributed systems in Ada "Painless".
>
> I have Ada 95 and would like to evaluate for myself how "painless" it
> is. When i get on the net
> to search for information, I find references to software, such as
> "Glade" from A.C.T, or "Adept" from Texas A & M. However, I can't seem
> to find any literature that provides an "Ada distributed Systems for the
> cluless". Is all I need to put together a small distributed system test
> (the equivalent to "Hello World", but displayed on another node) is
> GNAT, or do I need one of these other packages ?
>
> thanks for your help
> Joe Simon
Please also check out the Ada Web Server(aws) sources and its
documentation section 3.6 Communication.
It is certainly worthwhile since you might even find it to be simpler to
use than GLADE :)

http://libre.act-europe.fr/aws/

Cheers,
David Marceau