* sqrt
@ 2002-09-25 12:22 Sami Evangelista
From: Sami Evangelista @ 2002-09-25 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello all

does a sqrt function exists in ada and if yes in which package?

thanks
Sami evangelista

* Re: sqrt
@ 2002-09-25 12:39 ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2002-09-25 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Robert A Duff @ 2002-09-25 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos" <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> writes:

> > hello all
> >
> > does a sqrt function exists in ada and if yes in which package?
> You can read about it in section A.5.1 of the Ada Reference
> Manual (titled "Elementary Functions").
>
> You really should learn to search the obvious sources of
> information before asking questions in a news group.

True, but in fairness to the OP, the RM can be pretty inaccessible to
beginners.  However, for predefined library stuff like Sqrt, the RM is a
pretty good reference.  And Sqrt is in the index (there are actually
*two* Sqrt functions ;-) ).

- Bob

* Re: sqrt
@ 2002-09-25 20:04 ` Ingo Marks
From: Ingo Marks @ 2002-09-25 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sami Evangelista wrote:

> does a sqrt function exists in ada and if yes in which package?

For example

package Ada.Numerics.Aux;

function Sqrt (X : Double) return Double;

Regards,
Ingo

* Re: sqrt
@ 2002-09-25 22:25   ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2002-09-25 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ingo Marks <nospam_adv@region-nord.de> writes:
> Sami Evangelista wrote:
> > does a sqrt function exists in ada and if yes in which package?
>
> For example
>
> package Ada.Numerics.Aux;
>
> function Sqrt (X : Double) return Double;

I don't believe that Ada.Numerics.Aux is a standard package.  It may
be provided by some implementation (I'd guess GNAT) to be used in the
implementation of the standard packages.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@cts.com  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>

* Re: sqrt
@ 2002-09-26  1:17     ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2002-09-26  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Keith Thompson wrote:
> I don't believe that Ada.Numerics.Aux is a standard package.  It may
> be provided by some implementation (I'd guess GNAT) to be used in the
> implementation of the standard packages.

As Robert Dewar might say, what you believe or don't believe is
irrelevant. What is standard is specified in the ARM. Annex A.5
specifies package Ada.Numerics and its standard children (some optional
children are specified in Annex G). Aux is not one of those children.

--
Jeff Carter
"It's all right, Taggart. Just a man and a horse being hung out there."

* Re: sqrt
@ 2002-09-26 19:13   ` Robert Quinn
From: Robert Quinn @ 2002-09-26 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos" <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote in message
> You really should learn to search the obvious sources of
> information before asking questions in a news group.

To be fair what is "obvious" to you may not be obvious to others.
Most of the books, tutorials, and websites I have referenced
since I have begun using Ada (2 years) do not spell out
any method for finding information.  They just present the
information.  In books and tutorials The RM is typically
mentioned in passing, as the justification for some piece
of syntax.  It took me a long time before I realized the
value of the RM for finding information.

Also, if you go to the AdaPower website, CLA is first on the
list of Ada reference materials.

Robert Quinn